Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The Runes of the Earth- Stephen Donaldson

Sergievsky

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Raul... not sure if you've picked up "Runes" yet, but you don't need to revisit the first two trilogies. Donaldson does that for you, in enough detail to recall the original books, so this can be read as a standalone book.

I'd suggest anyone new to Donaldson's work read the first two trilogies first, but if you've read them (as I did, back in the 80's when they were originally released), you're good to go with the new book straight away. :evil:

I was feeling the same thing, Jimmie, but then I considered that (a) I might be looking back at the first two series with a nostalgic fondness that may not hold up to a more recent reading, and (b) that there was so much 'recalling' of the backstory in Runes that it made the read slightly more arduous, knowing the original books as well as I do.

(note: point (a) is not to suggest that the original books aren't a fantastic read in themselves... but as keyboardists many of us know how rose-coloured the past seems to be until we have to keep hitting the tuning function on a vintage synth between songs to get that one wonky oscillator to behave... ;) )

Thanks Sven. I'm about to go on tour and need a book to bring so I guess it'll be Runes. Not sure I'm looking forward to finishing it and then having to wait for the follow up. And yeah, the Gap series is fantastic. :thu: I'd like to see Peter Jackson take a stab at either series to bring to the big screen. :cool:
Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Not sure I'm looking forward to finishing it and then having to wait for the follow up.

I'm about to head out on the road for a short tour, and I'm wishing I either hadn't finished Runes, or that the sequel was in my hands now... :freak:

I'd like to see Peter Jackson take a stab at either series to bring to the big screen. :cool:

Well, there's talk of a movie, as the book deal that saw the latest series of books become a reality includes the movie rights, and there is a fair amount of rumbling about a possible movie. Who knows... since the blockbuster success of LotR, the studios are taking more chances with the "epic fantasy" genre... :)

Archived