Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ta-Da.... Lost S90ES sounds from Motif ES & MO8

HomeAmateur

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

I wish I had it to compare but the sample on the S90 was better. I wouldn't know how to transfer a voice from the S90 to the S90ES. Maybe you guys can show me how. I don't want to override a whole bank though, if I can help it.

Note: My additional problem is that I no longer have an S90 so I don't even remember what the original voice was called. I stuck it into a performance before so I don't have to refer to the actual voice often.

Thanks very much for your help guys.

I guess the first thing I would do is post your question to the S90ES forum or do a search first.

S90 Forum

I never had an S90 and I'm not sure if you can transfer the voice parameters from S90 to S90ES. I think I read you can but I don't remember when or exactly where. So you'll have to do the research just as I would. You definitely can not transfer the samples themselves as the S90 and 90ES have no sample RAM. And I don't know if the bass sample you're looking for is the same between the two boards.

If it were me I wouldn't bother. If I can offer some old man Markyboard advice (hey I like that) the hardest and IMO most unrewarding aspect of synths is trying to get one synth to sound like another. I've rarely tried to do this except as an experiment/test. To me each synth is unique (or should be). So program away. If you want a bass sound program and tweek it based(pun) on what you hear as you go. You might just be pleasantly surprised. Most complaints on synths seem to be along the lines of "Its not as warm as my original mini/Roland/Obie etc." or it doesn't have the same depth/bite/ or cut through the mix like synth x.

By programming a synth based on it's own strengths and weaknesses your end result will be much better. Again just my opinion.

As for your missing S90 bass voice, I'll keep an ear out for it and let you know if I hear anything. :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Markyboard,

There is an acoustic bass in the S90ES so it is not missing. However, it is different in that people have told me that it didn't sound realistic.

I thought perhaps it was an easy thing to do. So I'll just tweak it via equalizer to improve the sound. The one on the S90 was perfect.

I'm very happy with what I'm getting with the S90ES so this was just one minor thing that I was actually trying to sort out. I though perhaps it was as simple as exporting and importing a file. I didn't even think about the fact that the sample is different (shows my lack of synth knowledge).

Is there a good Synth 101 site that you know of? There are many of them but not necessarily easy to understand. Also, I don't need to know about sampling since we have a ROMPLER. Don't worry I will google as well. Thanks.

Edit - Actually as I look at various Synth websites, there is little Synth stuff I probably need to know. It's just that the S90ES manual assumes knowledge of terms like inserts, portamento, envelopes, filters, aftertouch, etc. Worse, the are usually abbreviated. I presume that these are classified as "effects". I'll figure it out someday.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Its a shame performances aren't interchangeable on those keyboards. There were some awesome performances on the old classic that I would have loved on the ES. Howver, many of the waveforms did not exist and some had altered.

I think Novation had the best system for Performances. In their system you could combine 4 patches, edit them in perofrmance mode to taste without effecting other performances that used them. This was one of the reasons I also disliked the old Roland JX10...

Wonder what the next generation of Yamah keyboards will bring...

Keyfax (over at sninety.com) is about to come out with a performance editor for the S90/Es, Motif/ES, MO6/8. Hopefully with the new editor exchanging performances will be possible.

I wonder about the next generation of boards myself. As much as I love the S90ES, I cant help but wonder if the next generation will just be an incremental baby step or a giant leap fowared. I'd have to guess that the next generation of synths and workstations will more closely resemble the Tyros 2. Also they may begin to incooperate some softsyhth features. I think that with the Receptors popularity growing quickly that the hardware companies are going to HAVE TO jump on board to avoid lost sales or even eventual extinction.

Archived