Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

Ill continue to stand by what I said about Mary J. If you agree to sing with someone, then you sing WITH them. You dont abandon them and turn a duet into a solo act. In cases like that she has to remember that its not all about her. When singing with others the song has to be more important than any individual. There is nothing wrong with exhibiting respect and self control. If a person thinks that is too much to ask then they dont need to share a stage. Too bad he was not paired with Gladys Knight.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have rather heard "Paradise By The Dashboad Light" though.
I thought that too... And then I thought - that might be kinda a creepy. "We're gonna go all the way tonight, gonna go all the way and tonight's the night..."
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Originally posted by soundscape:

It's a lot better than, say "Control Myself" (LL Cool J & Jennifer Lopez; recent iTunes US Top 100 songs #1.)

(I'm not saying it's good enough. Just that at least, damnit, it's a song!)

Yeah, and I guess we do have to blame the delivery somewhat! I mean there are alot of songs we know that have not-the-greatest lyrics, but the singer turns them into a song.

A skilled vocalist can transcend the words and turn the voice into an instrument that produces music. I don't think either of them did that, resulting in the criticism of lyrics.

Totally true, though it helps if the lyrics don't sound so hokey as to draw attention to themselves, but I can think of plenty of singers who made the best out of poor lyrics. (Though granted, usually with the benefit of studio recording or presumably a lot more time for rehearsal and/or experience of performing the song... )

Anyway, it won't matter as long as they follow the example of Kelly Clarkson and quickly go off and develop as an artist/star in their own right.

Oh, I get it now.

Hanne Margrethe Fredriksen Sørvaag has written/recorded songs that charted on the hit40 ... in Norway. On her site she only credits herself for having written "My Destiny".

Harry "Slick" Sommerdahl has written for Celine, Lindsay Lohan and Alcazar (outside of Idol). Actually, it looks like he's an arranger/multi-instrumentalist/engineer. So he probably just came in to tweak the song for Kat and the Idol band.

Tim Baxter. Could be a Scientologist from San Fran. Could be a computer geek from Kansas. Could be the art director for the 1991 horror flick, "Chopper Chicks in Zombietown". Could be a singer from Boston. Or "baxtabber" from myspace (somewhere in PA). (Sorry, my work has blocked myspace so I can't comment more on that.)

Er, hmm. Ok, finally came across the USATODAY article:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-05-23-idol-songs_x.htm

Seems the Idol producers did try my way, but with only 150 songs to choose from.

Maybe I should try for an unsolicited slot for next season?

Originally posted by meccajay:

I'm also sure a Chris, Taylor, or a Bo Bice, would have stepped up much better.

For now, I'll still say the best bet for Elliott was for the producers to realize what they've seen from him all year and move him over to the Toni Braxton duet. Elliot was very good in his solo performance BTW. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking last night, meccajay. The producers should have paired Elliott with Toni and Taylor with Mary J.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Oh, I get it now.

Hanne Margrethe Fredriksen Sørvaag has written/recorded songs that charted on the hit40 ... in Norway. On her site she only credits herself for having written "My Destiny".

After a brief listen to some of her own songs (i.e., for which she is the artist), none of them--assuming she wrote them herself--seem anything other than mediocre.

Seems the Idol producers did try my way, but with only 150 songs to choose from.
150 songs? 1500 songs? Nuts! Competent songwriters have been known to write hits in well under half an hour...

I though DW was doing good till the last when she completely lost the key.

After listening to Toni Braxton, I can understand why her cousin sounded so bad in the auditions. They either needed to change the key for her, or she's just gone to hell vocally.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by meccajay:

For now, I'll still say the best bet for Elliott was for the producers to realize what they've seen from him all year and move him over to the Toni Braxton duet. Elliot was very good in his solo performance BTW. :) [/QB]

I remember wanting to hear Toni Braxton on the radio..... that sultry voice.... i know she was always a looker, but if I heard she was going to be on Arsenio, or Letterman, I'd want to check it out for the song...... for her voice....

And I don't mean to complain about how she was dressed, or how she looked last night.... but I could barely hear her at all..... and I think she's gone the way of Mariah Carey & Christina Aquilera..

They've got the talent, that could have kids wanting to be them 30 years from now. But they decide to chase pop stars & record sales, like Britney Spears, and other flavor of the week acts....

What a waste.

Originally posted by Brilliant:

And I don't mean to complain about how she was dressed, or how she looked last night.... but I could barely hear her at all..... [/QB]

The word going around is that she forgot the lyrics, and just kinda faded on those parts on purpose.. The fake-out sex play with Taylor was supposed to be a distraction from that. Taylor seemed to be in the dark ;) about the whole thing.

I dunno if thats true, I haven't seen the replay, but something hokie was certainly goin on with that performance.

*edit*

BTW, Dionne Warwick was fantabulous, right up until the music mix drowned her out and she lost the key. :thu:

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Brilliant:

And I don't mean to complain about how she was dressed, or how she looked last night.... but I could barely hear her at all..... and I think she's gone the way of Mariah Carey & Christina Aquilera..

They've got the talent, that could have kids wanting to be them 30 years from now. But they decide to chase pop stars & record sales, like Britney Spears, and other flavor of the week acts....

What a waste.

Britney Spears' first album (released 7 years ago... "flavour of the week"?) had 2.5x the sales of her last album. Moreover, her first album featured several very well written songs, while her last album had a lot of "Rn'B" junk.

As for Carey and Aguilera, their songs have gone down the "Rn'B" drain too.

Archived