Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

Well, let's see...

While it's too bad that the Lakers aren't moving on to round two, they exceeded pretty much everyone's predictions on how they would do this year.

A couple calls and a couple bounces in game one, and the Lakers win in a 4 game sweep.

I think any chance to win game 5 was derailed when KABC news decided to release the Kwame hotel non-story 2 hours before the game. This is a very young team that was on a roll, and given the whole Kobe thing from 2 years ago, this was a big distraction. They just weren't in it mentally, and couldn't close them out in Phoenix.

Game 6... they had 'em yet again, but youth and inexperience cost them in that final 10 seconds when they should've fouled Marion right away under the basket (if they didn't get the rebound instead).

Game 7... other than Kobe, most of his teammates have never been in the playoffs, let alone a game 7 ...on the road.

I'm no short timer when it comes to rooting for the Lakers, nor am I a fair weather fan who will jump on the Clipper bandwagon (see Jeff). I don't hate the Clippers, but I am indifferent as to how they do. If they win, cool... if not, whatever. If the Suns sweep them in 4 however, it will give an indication of how the Lakers would've beaten them in the not meant to be "hallway series". (BTW, as soon as I heard some idiot had already made "hallway series" T-shirts, I knew it couldn't happen {see Lakers/Celtics 1969})

I've watched them get swept in the finals by Philly, 30+ point losses to the Celtics, Willis Reed, Ralph Sampson, Kareem (on the Bucks), the 90's, etc. Hey, The Lakers win some and they lose some (championships, that is). Heck, at least they didn't blow a 3-0 series lead to the Kings (or Red Sox, as the case may be).

So, since I have a reason to root against every remaining team in the West, I will have to say I hope the Mavericks beat the Suns in the conference finals and then lose to the Pistons in the finals. (I'd really like to see the Cavs make it, but that's a real longshot)

A n y w a y . . .

I watched every single Laker game this year, and even went to 4 or 5 games at Staples, and the fact that this team was an underdog all year made every game they won, including those wins vs. Dallas, the Pistons, Spurs, Heat, Cavs, Kings, etc. even more satisfying. I saw an 81 point game by Kobe, and after going 0-7 vs the Suns, saw them win 3 in a row.

This was probably on of the most exciting seasons I've seen in a long time, and they managed to get the experience of a road game 7 under their belt. Kobe was definitely the MVP, because if you take him off of the Lakers this year, they do worse than the Knicks.

And they'll be even better next year.

Go Lakers!!! :thu::thu:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much to Dave for the warm hospitality and the delicious food (cheesesteaks and Italian ice, both really really good!!). It is always a pleasure to hang out with Dave and Geoff.

Although I am a Lakers fan, I predicted just before the series started that the Phoenix Suns would win in 7. I was hoping that wouldn't happen (one foul before Tim Thomas' three-pointer away from that...), but it did.

Still, though, this was an exciting and fruitful season for the Lakers, and I feel that Phil Jackson should be Coach of the Year or really damn close for the outstanding job that he did. Many sports journalists predicted that they would finish 10th, but they went on to almost win the first round in the playoffs, exceeding just about everyone's expectations.

I don't know the rest of the NBA teams as well, but I'll take a stab at being Nostradamus anyway:

EAST:

Pistons over Cavs in 5

Heat over Nets in 7

WEST:

Spurs over Mavs in 7

Clippers over Suns in 7

This does not reflect who I want to win, just a guess about who may win.

I'd love to see the Clippers and the Heat square off, but the chances of that are a bit slim.

Okay, *really* slim!!! :D

Okay, here's the point at which I admit that I'm not enough of a basketball fan to feel qualified to make series by series picks. I will go as far as to make the predictable pick of another San Antonio / Detroit finals series, however.

As for the Suns / Clippers series after a lackluster season finish and post-season start, Phoenix finally has its momentum back. Leandro Barbosa, for example, really stepped off the bench in a big way, peaking with a team high of 26 points last night. Even though the Clippers are better rested, I like the Suns in 6.

Once again, I'm in the position of seeing a franchise I'd kind of like to win facing off against my favorite team. (Make no mistake, though, the Lakers are still my second favorite team. ;) ) After all, I like a Cinderella story as well as the next person; and while the Suns were last year's model, the Clippers own the story rights this year. Nonetheless, the Suns have now increased my hopes that they could win it all this year; so my investment in a Phoenix victory has moved up a notch. They're still a long shot, but they could go all the way!

GO SUNS!!! :thu:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Suns.jpg

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by steadyb:

since I have a reason to root against every remaining team in the West, I will have to say I hope the Mavericks beat the Suns in the conference finals and then lose to the Pistons in the finals.

That's too bad; I enjoyed having you in my team's corner last year. I guess I'm an anomaly in that I generally like my teams' division rivals better than teams from other divisions. (I'm a Packers fan and a Vikings fan, a Suns fan and a Lakers fan, an Arizona State University fan, a University of Arizona fan, and a University of Southern California fan, etc. Go figure! :D )

I watched every single Laker game this year, and even went to 4 or 5 games at Staples, and the fact that this team was an underdog all year made every game they won, including those wins vs. Dallas, the Pistons, Spurs, Heat, Cavs, Kings, etc. even more satisfying. I saw an 81 point game by Kobe, and after going 0-7 vs the Suns, saw them win 3 in a row.

This was probably on of the most exciting seasons I've seen in a long time, and they managed to get the experience of a road game 7 under their belt. Kobe was definitely the MVP, because if you take him off of the Lakers this year, they do worse than the Knicks.

And they'll be even better next year.

steadyb, I don't think I've ever known someone in real life who's such a fan of a single franchise as you are of the Lakers. I'd have to look to the cinema to find any competition. Steve Guttenberg's character, Eddie Simmons, in Barry Levinson's Diner, is the only one who might give you a run for your money; but then again, he's fictional. ;)

I respect your passion and dedication, and I'm glad to see your positive outlook about the Lakers' season as a whole. They certainly surpassed my expectations; and I agree, they'll be even better next year! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

... steadyb, I don't think I've ever known someone in real life who's such a fan of a single franchise as you are of the Lakers. ...

Try attending college games. Kentucky, Duke, Indiana or North Carolina basketball. Maybe Alabama, Auburn or Tennessee football. Steady seems like a fanatic. Some college fans are just nuts.

Ok. This coming from someone who drove from SE Kentucky to Detroit just to see Kentucky play in a pro football stadium while attempting to set a regular season game attendance record for college basketball. My boss made me go with him. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Magpel:

please take some pictures and post them here. Thx.

S/b no prob....I gotta tell you though - these are generally pretty unglamorous events... ;)
Dave, you are far too modest!

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/BasketballParty.jpg

Best,

Geoff

Yup! A typical Tinseltown basketball party. Just as I imagined it.

;)

P.S. Was Joan Rivers working the red carpet?

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

My heart goes out to the Lakers fans. That was a tough way to finish the season, up 3-1 in a series, letting a couple of close ones slip away, and then being forced to grind out an agonizing, three-hour death march in which their team never led and never got close to catching up.

Nevertheless, it was an exciting series. the likes of which we almost never see in the first round.

Question for discussion: Is Nash a better Kidd than Kidd?

It was nice to watch LBJ win his first playoff series, but I'm afraid that he's about to get a dose of second-round reality in Motown. Let's hope that my Nets can give Shaq and Wade a good run for their money.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Let's hope that my Nets can give Shaq and Wade a good run for their money.

I find myself wanting to root for the Nets, but I don't like Vince Carter very much. But I can't root for the Heat. Go Nets!!!

Detroit is a machine. Playoff experience is always gained the hard way...by losing. Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Walton, Dr J., Thomas, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Wallace, Shaq, Kobe, etc.

LeBron is about to join the "hard way" list.

Magic is the only one really to roll through the playoffs and all the way to a title as a rookie (3 titles in first 5 yrs in the league).

He played in 9 NBA finals and won 5. In his first 6 years he didn't go to the finals only once. 8 out of 10 from your rookie year you were playing for the title.

That's pretty special.

Anyway, back to the playoffs...

I think Kings/Spurs was closer than the 4-2 it ended up being.

Does anyone else remember a first round with this many games the could have gone differently if but for just one shot, or bounce? I can't.

In just about every series there was at at least one game like that.

Cavs/Wiz, Spurs/Kings, Lakers/Suns, Heat/Bulls (kind of), Nets/Pacers for sure.

Dallas should've won today. In theory, the Clippers should be able to win going inside, but a 4-0-Suns sweep would help make the case that anyone could've beaten the Nuggets, and that the Lakers therefore would've won in the second round vs. the Clippers.

The Nuggets were the weakest team of the bunch.

The Clippers/Suns match is a good one, in my opinion. I really don't know for sure who is going to win, but I put the Clippers by 7 because they're playing good ball and have a good inside presence.

The Clippers/Lakers matchup would have been amazing. Too bad...

Detroit is a machine.

I don't think that anyone has a realistic chance against the Pistons this year.

Does anyone else remember a first round with this many games the could have gone differently if but for just one shot, or bounce? I can't.

In just about every series there was at at least one game like that.

Cavs/Wiz, Spurs/Kings, Lakers/Suns, Heat/Bulls (kind of), Nets/Pacers for sure.

That's why they play the game. Suns/Lakers could have gone 4-2 either way.

The Lakers' worst playoff defeats:

Pts Date Opponent/Score Round Game

35 May 16, 1998 at Utah 112, Lakers 77 Conf. finals 1

34 May 27, 1985 at Boston 148, Lakers 114 NBA Finals 1

33 April 25, 1965 at Boston 129, Lakers 96 NBA Finals 5

33 June 6, 1982 at Philadelphia 135, Lakers 102 NBA Finals 5

33 June 16, 2000 at Indiana 120, Lakers 87 NBA Finals 5

32 April 18, 1965 at Boston 142, Lakers 110 NBA Finals 1

31 May 6, 2006 at Phoenix 121, Lakers 90 First 7

Originally posted by Dan South:

[qb]Detroit is a machine. Playoff experience is always gained the hard way...by losing. Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Walton, Dr J., Thomas, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Wallace, Shaq, Kobe, etc.

LeBron is about to join the "hard way" list.

Magic is the only one really to roll through the playoffs and all the way to a title as a rookie

Just to correct the few degrees of laker-centric skew in my man B's otherwise cogent state-of-the- playoffs address, Bird did manage to lead the Celtics to a title in only his second season, which is not exactly the same thing as a long climb to the top. Also for comparative purposes, Magic joined a team with Kareem, Jamal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, etc. Bird joined a team with...Cedric Maxwell.

All that said, Magic did prevail over Bird in their career rivalry, though I suppose Larry gets some of the credit for driving him to those heights.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Props to you guys, and congrats on the get together you guys enjoyed at Dave's! Yes Dave my flight was cancelled due to...ahem...storms.

Steadyb, Kobe has to answer for this. Yes I'm glad I won't EVER have to hear enother comparison to MJ, but on the other hand. How many sportsfans in general were let down by Kobe "quitting" in the 4th quarter of a game 7?!! 2 points in the entire second half! Are you kidding me?!!!!

No MVP's or b-ball legends, or hall of famers check out of a game 7 just cause it doesn't go there way. Incredulous. It's like he was saying to his teamates "ok yoy guys canlt score, so Im taking my ball and going home".

Ok, onto Lebron. Took his "welcome to the playoffs kid" punishment like we knew he would.

My memory of him this weekend will always and forever be him walking up to Arenas on the foul line after Gilbert misses a free throw, and calmly tells him. "If you miss both of these shots the game is over" Arenas goes onto missing them both!! Good that Arenas was a good sport about it after the game and during the press conf. Good stuff.

Mavs-Spurs is living up..

TROLL . . . ish.

Mecca, I'm not sure what to make of Kobe's second half. On one level, I'm inclined to agree with Kobe that no herculean one player effort was going to get the Lakers back into that game. He had already had what can only be described as a perfect first healf--9/13, 4 three pointers. And they were 15 down at half.

He scored BUNDLES against the Suns all season, and they never beat them, until the game where D'Antoni rested Nash and Marion.

So they stayed committed to their offensive strategy, which was to exploit the Suns inside with Odom and Brown. Keep in in mind that that--and not 40 point nights from Bryant--was how they won three games in the series.

So I don't think that Kobe can be faulted for staying with the offense until such time as they got some collective momentum going, and THEN turning on his superman stuff to finish.

But the point is this; Kobe wasn't the story -- the Lakers didn't lose that game on the offensive side. They got destroyed, shredded, embarrassed on D. Kobe could have gone for 35 in the second half and it wouldn't have mattered in the least. THEY CAN'T RUN AND GUN WITH THE SUNS, to coin a triple rhyme phrase. Once the Suns started dictating tempo (in game 4, really) the tide in this series had turned.

Without some second half stops, no single player in history, not even MJ or Wilt, was going to deliver that team to victory.

When the Lakers came from 27 back in the 4th quarter to beat the Mavericks, it was not a Jordanian effort from Kobe that did it, though I'm sure he scored a lot of the baskets--it was a team on a collective roll, keyed by defense and turnovers. That's the only way you can overcome a deficit like that.

All that said, I find it somewhat suspicious that Kobe's offensive activity was SO minimal--I think there might well have been some "messaging" going on, directed at both his teammates and at Phil.

Laker Questions marks:

--Can Odom really play the role of Pippen? I think he has the talent, but the conistency and heart are in question.

--Can we back off a bit on the Kwame resurrection rhetoric? A few good games against a team of tiny tims...and only a few.

--I like Smush and want to see him do well, but he's got a long road to ghet some confidence back. he was AWFUL in games 5-7--inept on O, torched on D. Phil Jackson has always preferred BIG guards (Ron Harper anyone?) so I don't see Smush figuring in their '07 plans.

--How long till Bynum can contribute?

Sorry, Steady, I'm not seeing it, the Laker rise. But I remain open to the possibility.

I get your points Mag, well thought out as usual.

All Im saying is it made him look like he wasn't trying.. Some effort in a game 7 is a mandate for great players...

..Or to quote George Clinton -

"With just a little bit of effort I can, and well we might, just turn you on.."

TROLL . . . ish.

Laker Questions marks:

--Can we back off a bit on the Kwame resurrection rhetoric?

THAT is a lost cause.. Kwame couldn't find his ass if he used both hands! :D
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

All Im saying is it made him look like he wasn't trying.. Some effort in a game 7 is a mandate for great players...

And I do agree that there was something fishy about his second half. But who can claim to be surpised? The Lakers in the Jackson era have always had their share of melodrama. Weird for it to take shape on the big stage like that, though.

Mecca, I'm not sure what to make of Kobe's second half. On one level, I'm inclined to agree with Kobe that no herculean one player effort was going to get the Lakers back into that game. He had already had what can only be described as a perfect first healf--9/13, 4 three pointers. And they were 15 down at half.

He scored BUNDLES against the Suns all season, and they never beat them, until the game where D'Antoni rested Nash and Marion.

So they stayed committed to their offensive strategy, which was to exploit the Suns inside with Odom and Brown. Keep in in mind that that--and not 40 point nights from Bryant--was how they won three games in the series.

So I don't think that Kobe can be faulted for staying with the offense until such time as they got some collective momentum going, and THEN turning on his superman stuff to finish.

But the point is this; Kobe wasn't the story -- the Lakers didn't lose that game on the offensive side. They got destroyed, shredded, embarrassed on D. Kobe could have gone for 35 in the second half and it wouldn't have mattered in the least. THEY CAN'T RUN AND GUN WITH THE SUNS, to coin a triple rhyme phrase. Once the Suns started dictating tempo (in game 4, really) the tide in this series had turned.

Without some second half stops, no single player in history, not even MJ or Wilt, was going to deliver that team to victory.

When the Lakers came from 27 back in the 4th quarter to beat the Mavericks, it was not a Jordanian effort from Kobe that did it, though I'm sure he scored a lot of the baskets--it was a team on a collective roll, keyed by defense and turnovers. That's the only way you can overcome a deficit like that.

All that said, I find it somewhat suspicious that Kobe's offensive activity was SO minimal--I think there might well have been some "messaging" going on, directed at both his teammates and at Phil.

Great post.

Speaking of messaging...

Did you guys catch that shot of Raja Bell in the 4th quarter of game 7 (Raja was already on the bench) where he pointed at Kobe until he got Kobe's attention, then drew his finger across his throat to rub in the fact that the Lakers were toast?

Man, that was cold...

Bell must have been feeling all kinds of relief at that point. If the Suns had lost in Game 6 while he was cooling his heels in a sports bar in LA, he would have kicked himself for the entire off season.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I thought Barkley and some of the other commentators who were on before the game had a good point. Kobe's teammates need to be involved in the offense in order to get rolling on defense. This is not Detroit where you have Wallace and Prince playing defense and grabbing rebounds without worrying about points. A lot of the Lakers need to hit a few shots and get on a roll to really feel like they are in the game.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by meccajay:

Yes I'm glad I won't EVER have to hear enother comparison to MJ

Yep. MJ was never good enough to score 81.
Still basking in that meaningless faded glory huh?!

My friend the ONLY reason Jordan never hit 81 is because... Why should he?

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Rabid:

A lot of the Lakers need to hit a few shots and get on a roll to really feel like they are in the game.Robert

Very true. They were not gonna win the game regardless. My only issue is that as a team leader, Kobe has to show some pride, play through it like a true champion and exibit some effort. Show your team how true champions do it, and reap the rewards from that in the next few years.

Weve seen this moping from Kobe before, when they lost against Detroit and he refused to pass the ball to Shaq when the offense called for it.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived