Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... you asked for it...

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/02_Febbraio/23/BASKET.jpg

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dan South:

Abracadabra! You are now the GM of the Knicks.

How to you fix the team, and how long will it take?

Let's start with execution.

I'm all for it.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I thought basketball was a girls game?! (I'm waiting for sound of a plane arriving to take me straight to Guantanamo!)

Only kidding guys, I wish we had more coverage of your season over here in the UK. From what little I've seen, its gotta be Pistons by a mile!

Yamaha P250, Korg N5EX, ARP Axxe, Korg M1, Behringer mixer and other stuff - gratefully sponsored by Visa!

Originally posted by Dee-troit Bas-ket Ball:

Pistons-Spurs. Pistons in 6........

Okay I'll agree with the first part, but disagree with the latter. The Spurs played the Pistons twice this season and lost twice, but both times without Manu Ginobili who was out with injuries. We just finished with a long road trip (the Spurs had to go on the road for 9 games because the arena is owned by the county and the county has a rodeo every February -- I know we're a bunch of hicks in this town). The Spurs have a 77% winning average (41 W, 12 L) vs. the Pistons 83% (43 W, 9 L) when you look at the recent road trip and the 2 losses against the Pistons without a key player (no pun intended), I think it will be pretty even. Of course I could be wrong . . .

Pistons and Spurs last season was the first great finals series in quite a while. I was rooting for the Spurs, butI thought the PIstons were the better team.

Pistons have that look. But if it comes down to the Pistons v. Spurs, do you not think that the 3-time champion Spurs will elevate their game?

I hope, hope, hope that it comes down to that matchup. I hope Phoenix, with Amare just hitting peak form (scary), doesn't derail the rematch.

I remember in one of the Laker championship years, Derek Fisher was out until right around this time, and when the playoffs rolled around, he looked a step quicker than everybody and was a huge factor in their title run. Now transpose to the key of Stoudemire, who's a top-5 talent, and you see the hazard...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Who's the MVP?

Kobe

Nash and/or Marion!

Lebron I suppose

Elton Brand

Billups, which would be the least stat-based MVP ever,but still not a bad call. The guy is, as they say, a stone-cold winner.

If the last two games are an indication of the way Lamar Odom intends to play the rest of the season, things are going to be looking way up for the Lakers.

19 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists last night.

20 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists on Tuesday.

Go Lakers!!! :thu::thu:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Magpel:

Who's the MVP?

Unless the Lakers don't make the playoffs, this is Kobe's year to win the MVP.
Cough Cough *slappy* Cough Cough

Lol, seriously though, I got excited when I found out Odom was gonna be on the lakers (in response to your earlier post). I'm a fan of his and think he can really bring a lot to any team he's on. I'd like to see him go far, and with the Lakers, he just might do that.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Brief spur off into NCAA Bball for a moment...

Consider the case of Villanove, a team starting 4 guards and ranked 2nd in the nation.

The reason they start 4 guards is that their best player, Senior forward Curtis Sumpter went out with a seaon ending injury beofre the season even really started. The team has been dynamite without him.

But here's the thing: Sumpter could conceivably be ready to return any time now...or he can choose to sit out the year and return to play his senior season next year, under the injury clause.

So what would you do? You have a chance to play three weeks of basketball on a veteran team that has a seriously good chance of making the final four, or you can come back for a full senior season. Sumpter is considerd a possible first round NBA pick.

Erm.. I totally don't pay attention to NCAA. If I'm sumpter, and I'm confident that I'm a difference maker, I go in and seal the deal and play my ass off end of the season and show everyone what they were missing.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Still no respect for the team with the 2nd best record in the NBA, statiscally one of the best defensive teams, definitely the most depth (especially since tonight the Mavs played without 3 of their most important players tonight & Dirk for one quarter), and a head coach who has energy, passion, and who knows how to take a team to a championship level.

Not surprizing. Sir Charles Barkley's bark about no D in Dallas is everyone's excuse to make Dallas a quick exit. Even if Dallas did win a championship, Charles and his media buddies would say it was a fluke.

Anyways, the Lakers, whoever they play, will be outted in 5 games, if not 4. Kobe's selfish (even though miraculous at times) play makes his team just good enough to make the playoffs. I do like Smoosh Parker's game...sometimes he's a poor man's version of Kobe (the way he glides through the lane).

Here's my prediction:

West Conf

Dallas Vs. San Antonio

Dallas wins in 7 (home court advantage) and avenges 15 point lead that was loss in Game 6 of 2003 playoffs.

East Conf

Detroit Vs. New Jersey

Detroit's a no-brainer unless there's a castastrophie. However, I still have some doubts about Flip Saunders and his ability to coach under pressure...won't have an affect though until the Finals.

New Jersey will pull an upset (as far as the media and most fans are concerned) over Miami in 6 games, if not 5. Miami is an older team and I feel that that the Nets athleticism will create real troubles for them. Plus, any team with Antoine Walker and Jason Williams should not reach the finals...ugh.

Finals

Detroit Vs. Dallas

I dont think it would be fair to pick Dallas (even if I've been a serious fan since 1988) because Detroit is by far a more well-balanced team and has been there several times with their current core lineup. I think that Dallas will give them a run, maybe taking it to a 2-2 series...however, Detroits physical play will wear down Dallas.

Detroit wins 4-3 on home court

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Ok ... I know it's the NBA thread but I just had to tell someone again this year. My daughters team (University of Wisconsin-Stout) won their conference for the second year in a row. They then went on a 3 game run and won the conference championship for the second year in a row.

Can you say automatic bid into the NCAA DIII tourney?

Down to Indianola, Iowa Friday for the games.

Im so psyched.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled NBA chatter

Originally posted by jackpine:

Ok ... I know it's the NBA thread but I just had to tell someone again this year. My daughters team (University of Wisconsin-Stout) won their conference for the second year in a row. They then went on a 3 game run and won the conference championship for the second year in a row.

Can you say automatic bid into the NCAA DIII tourney?

Down to Indianola, Iowa Friday for the games.

Im so psyched.

THAT is totally awesome!!!

Congrats and good luck!!!

Musicalaccents,I think people are giving the Mavs plenty of respect; but it is, deservedly, a tentative, conditional resepct. Not: "They'll fold in the playoffs," but: "I'm withholoding judgment until I see if they fold in the playoffs again." You've got to prove something in the playoffs before you get respect.

As far most people penciling SA into the finals, well, come on, defending champs, won 3 of the last 7 titles, and added your own Michael Finley, who hasn't exactly made a big splash, but there's still time. Anyone who jumps ship on SA just to show respect to the newly defensive minded Mavs isn't really thinking straight (and this, I hope, is the worst sentence I will write all day).

So I respect the Mavs.I also respect the Suns, and I think either could challenge the Spurs, who, reloaded as they may seem, might actually be just on the down side of a dynasty because of the slightest wisp of the suggestion of the chance of the possibility that Tim Duncan's skills may be in decline. And, as Laker woe is quick to show, no amount of backcourt and perimeter firepower makes up the loss of a dominant post presence.

So,on the Maves, I stand open minded, ready to be convinced.

And don't let anything Chuck says suggest that he represents the consensus opinion of people around the league. He'll say anything, and I don't think he likes Euros, so any team whose best player is a Euro is, in his rather funky mind, incapable of playing tough minded defense.

Magpel...thanks for your constructive comments. Yeah, I'm somewhat of a homer like most everybody, but I also am a fan of the game & watch other teams other than just my team. San Antonio should be the favorites in the West...and the Mavs will have to prove being worthy. No matter what happens, I'm excited to have a team that plays inspired defense when needed and to know that the D hasn't affected the offense in a negative way...it actually makes their offense so much better. I just want to see Dirk continue to improve his on-the-ball defense and hope that he contributes his defensive efforts in the playoffs (along with keeping his cool, unlike last year vs. the Suns). Speaking of the Suns...they are going to be a scary team in the playoffs. Can Nash continue his playoff excellency and not wear down after the regular season? That's the key to the Suns chances.

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Magpel...thanks for your constructive comments. Yeah, I'm somewhat of a homer like most everybody, but I also am a fan of the game & watch other teams other than just my team. San Antonio should be the favorites in the West...and the Mavs will have to prove being worthy. No matter what happens, I'm excited to have a team that plays inspired defense when needed and to know that the D hasn't affected the offense in a negative way...it actually makes their offense so much better. I just want to see Dirk continue to improve his on-the-ball defense and hope that he contributes his defensive efforts in the playoffs (along with keeping his cool, unlike last year vs. the Suns). Speaking of the Suns...they are going to be a scary team in the playoffs. Can Nash continue his playoff excellency and not wear down after the regular season? That's the key to the Suns chances.

Hey, I consider the Mavs an amazing story. It's like the Seattle Mariners of the late 90s--every time they dumped a superstar--Griffey,Jr., Randy Johnson, A-Rod--they seemed to improve!

With the Mavs its Van Exl, Nash, Finley...

And isn't also kind of funny that in a roundabot way, the Mavs' new approach is testimony to the greateness of the Popovitch imprimatur, as Avery Johnson is no doubt a "school of Pop" coach--probably the first, actually.

And I must say of all the bratty high profile celebrity owners, your boy is without a doubt the most tolerable...but I mean consider the competition: Dan Snyder? Eeek.

Archived