Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Squeaky Acoustic Pedal . . . .

shniggens

My acoustic's habit of squeaking when I depress the sustain pedal isn't too annoying when I'm jamming some good ol' rock n' roll . . . but when it comes to a nice soft lyrical piece that needs to be pedalled on each beat ala Air On The G String . . . well, you get the picture. :D

What do I use to lube it, and where do I apply the lube. (get your mind out the gutter!)

Amateur Hack

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get down on your knees and listen.

Find out exactly where the squeak originates.

If it is caused by wood rubbing wood, I'd use some wax between the two - perhaps even rubbing an old candle on both pieces would help.

Another solution is to use a small, thin piece of felt, depending on the area that is squeaking.

If you must use a drop of oil, don't use too much. If you do, it may run out onto the floor or carpet.

There's nothing worse than a squeaky sustain pedal... unless it's a squeaky kick drum pedal... or a drunken woman with stringy hair, a wart on her nose, and a bad meth habit who staggers into your studio with a tambourine. :eek::freak::rolleyes:

Can I get a witness? :cool:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/TamborineGalMG1998.jpg/250px-TamborineGalMG1998.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by poly:

I'm a piano tuner.

Your problem is most likely coming from one of two spots.

1.)The pedal 'pin' which holds the pedal to the floor bracket. Use a little 3 in 1 oil...work the pedal and see it if stops.

If it doesn't stop, then it's probably in

sorry about that...trigger finger ;)

2.)If it's still squeaking, then it's probably in the sutain rod mechanism which runs in back of the action.

You'll most likely have to call a tuner for this.

"Is There Gas In The Car" also makes a good point if it's the wooden dowels rubbing against one another.

let us know how you make out.

Larry B

SONIC MUSIC

http://sonicmusic.net

Archived