Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternative to Nord Electro2 ?

Lasse

I'm considering buying a keyboard like the Electro2. Obviously, I need good Rhodes, clavinet and B3 sounds..

Secondary, I need a stage keyboard, without the need for a lot of preprogramming.

The choice of an Electro2 is obvious, but if I want to compare it to other synths of its like, what should I compare it with? I like to "analyze" the possibilities before I buy :-)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lasse:

I'm considering buying a keyboard like the Electro2. Obviously, I need good Rhodes, clavinet and B3 sounds..

Secondary, I need a stage keyboard, without the need for a lot of preprogramming.

The choice of an Electro2 is obvious, but if I want to compare it to other synths of its like, what should I compare it with? I like to "analyze" the possibilities before I buy :-)

If those are the only sounds you need, you would be very happy with a Nord Electro. The only other keyboard that bears similarity to the Electro is Roland's V-Combo aka VR-760. It has a dedicated drawbar organ section, piano and EP section and a synth section with expansion capability. The V-Combo is a more flexible instrument with a superior keyboard action. In my opinion, the Electro has an edge for Rhodes, Clav, Wurly and organ tone - more realistic and downright funky. The V-Combo's EPs and clavs are kind of vanilla rompler-style sounds with noticeable velocity switch points - still usable sounds, but not as dynamically inspiring as the Electro, in my opinion. I've written hundreds, if not thousands of words on this very topic, so click on the Search link to learn more.

You did not give much info on what style of music you are doing and in what venue (gigging vs. home). Not sure of your other needs or what gear you currently have. If this is your very first keyboard purchase, the Electro may be a little too focused to the vintage electro-mechanical niche, or it may be perfect for you. Really depends on what you want to do. If you need a wider array of sounds and functionality, you should also check out the various rompler offerings such as the Motif, Fantom, Triton keyboards.

Regards,

Eric

I loooove the sound the the seventies. Funk and soul. I have a AlesisQS synth, but I'm not (at all) satisfied with the Rhodes, wurlys, clavs and the organs.

It's almost to good to be true, that this cheap synth, just have no real competitors... But it seems as if that is the case. Just to easy to choose!!

Thanks, for your answers...

Lasse,

It's not just the great sounds, it's even better than that. The Electro achieves something almost unheard of and magical in a modern digital keyboard - except for the acoustic piano sounds, when you play it you feel inspired like you are actually connecting with a REAL musical instrument.

I'd recommend spending a little extra for the 73 key version.

Moe

---

Archived