Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Electro 2 piano sounds

silentman

Originally posted by lowerhodes:

I also have the new OS and Steinway piano but would like to raise another question among the Electro faithfull. Does anyone else think the leslie fast speed sounds lame and that the ramp up time is too fast? And does anyone else think the Rhodes' are great for chordal work but unusable for single note passages? Oh, and by the way, I think the new piano is as good as say, the S90.

Interesting comments - have you tried the latest OS which is supposed to have a new leslie sim or possibly alteration on it? I haven't coz i'm too woosy, but i don't mind the old one as long as it's in stereo. Ramp time... not too bad IMO.

I see what you mean about playing single note passages on the Rhodes, but i've always equated that with the Electro keyboard's touch; it's a pain to jazz solo fast on! I find that i need to play hard to keep even, and then the higher velocities are triggered and it sounds a bit naff. Obviously this can be solved by buying a Stage or midi-ing up a weighted board and messing with the velocity curves. Dunno, i don't reckon it's the fault of the samples themselves. Have you tried Rhodes 3? I don't like it as much as 2 but it's somehow easier to solo on, perhaps coz of less variation in velocity switching...

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by primoz:

I have a little problem downloading new sounds from clavia.se. There is only "This page will soon be back online, please be patient." :mad: line at the page free sounds and free software.

Anyone has/had this problem?

Synthlord has put up a temporary spot you can get OS 2.3 and the new pianos on the Nordusa site.

http://www.nordusa.com/news/ne2_v23_and_pianos.htm

I guess this will stay up until Clavia's site is back-up. I don't know why it's down...

Thanks awfulgrace!

I've just tried these new sounds, but I'm not satisfied with any of them, so I'm sticking to Malmsjoe grand stereo (AcGrand2_2).

I would keep new Stainway on my electro, but I don't have enough memory to do so. I erased Electric Grand long time ago and I put Rhodes3_3 on that place. Too bad there's not enough place for two AcGrands ...

Originally posted by silentman:

So is there any option for Clavia to extend somehow the memory of the electro ?

There is no way that I'm aware of, but I hope it's possible in the future - because the cost of flash memory has come down tremendously recently.

I'm completely not technically knowledgeable about such matters, but 1GB flash USB drives cost about $100 these days, so I would extrapolate that the cost of whatever particular type of flash memory that's used in the Electro would be cheaper as well. This is just based on the blind assumption that through the very large growth of the consumer level market of flash memory (through thumb drives & digital cameras) would drive down the per-piece cost of manufacture for all flash memory in general.

But... for all I know the type of flash memory in the Electro could be wildly different from what's found elsewhere.

Also, the cost of upgrading the Electro hardware to accept more memory may work out to be more costly to the consumer than it would be just to upgrade to the Stage... (not to speak of the cannibalism Clavia could face by offering both the Stage and an increased-memory Electro).

This is all completely blind conjecture & speculaton - but it would be super cool if it were feasible. I have a feeling, though, that it's nowhere as simple as it seems.

But, no, to my knowledge there's no way presently to increase the memory size of the Nord Electro beyond what it's shipped with.

Has Clavia fixed the velocity issue (for controlling external sounds) for the Stage in version 2.0?
As far as I know, yes.

I'm sorry I was referring to the Electro 2 demo files. A recording of what the new samples sound like would be so cool.
Soon ... I'm updating my home studio, and I'll be able to make some recordings in about 3 weeks. (Pay off a couple of bills, then I'm getting ProTools M.Powered, a MIDIsport 8x8, and checking out a couple more Nord Racks from work ...)

Does anyone else think the leslie fast speed sounds lame and that the ramp up time is too fast?
Version 2.3 is supposed to improve on that ...

I have a little problem downloading new sounds from clavia.se
Go to: http://www.nordusa.com/news/ne2_v23_and_pianos.htm

(The files are fine; ignore the warning)

So is there any option for Clavia to extend somehow the memory of the electro?
(edit)

But, no, to my knowledge there's no way presently to increase the memory size of the Nord Electro beyond what it's shipped with.

You're quite right, awfulgrace.

The only memory you could "add" would be a physical, larger-capacity Flash chip. To do that, Clavia would need to redesign the whole instrument. The Electro has not changed much since its inception 5-6 years ago. Clavia wanted original Electro owners to be able to upgrade to an Electro2 (closer to their original ideal portable electromechanical concept), so the hardware wasn't changed.

If they did redesign it for more memory, then why not take the opportunity to add other features users have been requesting - reverb, compression, multitimbrality, an 88-key version? But why stop there? Tack on a couple more organ models, a quick-and-dirty synth, rotary encoders, a larger display ... and you have the Nord Stage.

So, awfulgrace was right. :)

• 3 weeks later...
im trying to backup up my patches on to my laptop using nord stage manager 1.12 with OS 1.14 in the stage piano. its not working and the only reason for this i can think of is that the two systems dont work together. does anyone out there have a version of 1.14 stage manager. i realize i could easily download it from the website, but the website has been down for a while, all it says is can you patiently wait until it comes back up. can anyone help a brother out.

Bok,

I had a similar problem with my setup. The stage manager included with the manual didn't work on my 'puter and the Stage's OS 1.14. So, I downloaded the earlier version of the stage manager software that was posted on Clavia's site (I am not at home to be able to tell you what version I ended up downloading). Anyway, it now works like a charm. You might want to PM SynthLord about this. He may be able to get you a copy of that software pending Clavia's return to its regularly scheduled program.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Archived