Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

imac Vrs. PC

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com: [b]If you want to save money build yourself a PC. If you need a list of parts and some links to information sources email me and I'll send it to you. I build PC's to run Nuendo and Cubase and they are very reliable and powerful for about 1/3 the cost of a G4. I like Macintosh computers and I appreciate the design of their processor but the cost factor has outweighed these considerations for me and the people that are using computers that I built. [/b][/quote] I'm thinking of going this route. Could you send me any information you have? I want to build a PC to run SONAR (currently using PA9 on a grossly underpowered PII 300). I want to use the audio interface I already have (ego systems wami rack, I like it a lot), and my 19" monitor, but everything else will be new. Thanks in advance, rsaboiasilva@hotmail.com

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started out on PC's way back when the very first ones came out in '81 - I was using the first version of Cakewalk on an 8 Mhz 8086 XT running under DOS and having the time of my life - and boy was I a PC bigot. When Win 3.1 finally proved that the Windows platform was viable I was horribly excited about the possibilities for PC based sequencing (if any of you here remember sequencing in an alphanumeric sequencer you will know how envious I was of Vision). However, after waiting several years for Cakewalk to come out with a Windows version, I finally broke down and bought a Mac (a IIvx) in '91 - with Vision 1.4 and an Opcode Studio 5. I have been personally happy on the Mac platform ever since. But I switch for software functionality only - frankly, I wanted nothing to do with the little happy faced guy - it didn't even seem like a real computer (What? No config.sys file to twiddle parameters in [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] Now of course there is a lot of great stuff for both platforms, so it should really come down to what tools you wish to use. Clearly if you have your heart set on a PT system your decision is going to be pretty straightforward, but there are a lot of good DAW packages out there on both platforms. Frankly, I wish more of it were cross platform. With my investmentment now into Mac based software and hardware, I doubt I could justify switching back to PC. The whole Mac vs PC war thing is really silly - but worse is this whole megahertz rating, that is about as meaningful as saying my car goes faster than your car because my speedometer goes higher. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Whatever you do decide to do, I agree with the many posters who encourage you to think down the road about upgrading and expandability - no matter what you buy today it will be obsolete in 12 months (or less) and you will want to upgrade - trust me, this is addictive [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Cheers, Amad

Hey old Notape..this is new Notape ...why'd those rascals at the EQ head office let me have this user name when I joined a couple of weeks ago??? Must be a computer glitch...wonder if it's a Mac or a PC. Oh well, obviously you win ..I see you have more posts. Anyone have ideas for a new username for me? ...there ain't enough room in this town for two Notapes. Maybe I can use alphaclerk or stevewow, or dokorder.

[quote]Originally posted by Rod CA: [b] Hey Dylan, I kept hearing about incompatibilities of the Athlon with some of the more popular audio interfaces. Is this true? I'm starting to gather information for a new computer (I'll still have a PII 300). Thanks.[/b][/quote] Howdy, Rod! This is pretty much old news now. If you use a newer Athlon chipset like the KT133A then you'll have no issues. I personally have used or know of people using hardware from MOTU, Midiman (M-Audio), RME, ST Audio, Echo, and Egosys to name a few all on Athlon systems. A great article to read on building your own Athlon is over at: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/D6A94D6B2F7DA99186256A7F00747CC9 . This is a tried and true hardware setup that will work flawlessly in a DAW envirornment. I have a real hard time recommending an Intel based system to anyone right now because of the price/performance ratio. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now an AMD based setup is by far the best. -Dylan This message has been edited by Dylan Walters on 08-01-2001 at 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dylan Walters: [b] If you use a newer Athlon chipset like the KT133A then you'll have no issues. I personally have used or know of people using hardware from MOTU, Midiman (M-Audio), RME, ST Audio, Echo, and Egosys to name a few all on Athlon systems. [/b] Good to hear, since I have an egosystems wami rack which I plan to 're-use', it's fairly new and I like it a lot. Installation was a breeze and I haven't had problems with it. Thanks for the link. I'm going to start planning out my system this weekend.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

[quote]Originally posted by Notape: [b]Oh well, obviously you win ..I see you have more posts. Anyone have ideas for a new username for me? ...there ain't enough room in this town for two Notapes. Maybe I can use alphaclerk or stevewow, or dokorder.[/b][/quote] mmm how about: * HAMderton * GusRacks * Cheff, SONY Guy or ... * RandomAccess * NonLinearRecording [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] ------------------ [b]Gustavo G Lozada[/b] Moderador de: [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/nuestroforo]MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo[/url] [i] "La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"[/i] [url=http://www.mp3.com/trax_mx]GusTraX[/url] @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Notape: [b]Hey old Notape..this is new Notape ...why'd those rascals at the EQ head office let me have this user name when I joined a couple of weeks ago??? Must be a computer glitch...wonder if it's a Mac or a PC. Oh well, obviously you win ..I see you have more posts. Anyone have ideas for a new username for me? ...there ain't enough room in this town for two Notapes. Maybe I can use alphaclerk or stevewow, or dokorder.[/b][/quote] Sanstape Noger Richols Durve Cominant Mip ChcDonald MatinLusic Wylan Dalters Fravid Dangioni Tonape Moppusic Mletcher@Fercenary Siromlav Pevestow TrusGax Teff, JASKAM Guy Jesus H. Christ I know, I have too much time on my hands.... -nt

[quote]Originally posted by Notape: [b]Hey old Notape..this is new Notape ...why'd those rascals at the EQ head office let me have this user name when I joined a couple of weeks ago??? Must be a computer glitch...wonder if it's a Mac or a PC. Oh well, obviously you win ..I see you have more posts. Anyone have ideas for a new username for me? ...there ain't enough room in this town for two Notapes. Maybe I can use alphaclerk or stevewow, or dokorder.[/b][/quote] Sanstape Noger Richols Durve Cominant Mip ChcDonald MatinLusic Wylan Dalters Fravid Dangioni Tonape Moppusic Mletcher@Fercenary Siromlav Pevestow TrusGax Teff, JASCAM Guy Jesus H. Christ I know, I have too much time on my hands.... -nt This message has been edited by notape on 08-02-2001 at 11:51 AM

Archived