Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Amplification- Multiple Use

Yamis

I haven't played out in a number of years. My old band is getting back together. We have a gig coming up in April 2006. There won't be a sound system for the band. Everyone is pretty much on their own. The band is versatile and plays pretty much anything (Rock, Blues, Ballads, etc.). I have a Yamaha S80, an Alesis QS7.1 a Korg MS2000R and a Voce V5. I am using a Motion Sound KBR-M for the Voce V5 which I have connected to the QS7.1. Everything else is powered by a Samson Servo-260 through a couple of Event 20/20 passive monitors. I am almost definitely going to get stuck playing left hand bass when the band gets together. I am also using a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer. I have been looking at the Roland and Motion Sound stuff. I could replace the Samson Servo 260 with something more powerful and pick up a couple of speaker cabinets. Money isn't really an issue. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Yamis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry about my original post. I just finished a search of previous posts. This topic has been beat to death. Anyway, I have some ideas now. As always, looks like it comes down to personal preference. I'll be heading to the music store to check things out.
Yamis

Take a look at that giant Roland [kc-1000] and report back, please. I do not think anybody has test driven one. Were it my problem, I'd either stereo with the kbr and another amp [like a barbetta] or I'd try the leslie 21 system. My kbr has a hum that I have to get MS to fix, so I am doing with the pro3t and two amps which works ok. When I get the kbr-m calmed down I'll use it and the pro3t on the old crate kx160. I find the kbr-m is quite loud [see the 'midrange' thread???] so it's good in band without pa situations when paired with a second amp. I just thought you could maybe work in the equipment you already have. Just my 2 cents.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Hey Yamis,

I think your KBR-M would suit you well, particularly if you have a mixer to gang up everything except the V5. If you are not gigging that often, I don't know that it is worth dropping to many pesos on it, especially considering what you have already!

Regards,

Eric

Thanks Eric. I guess my biggest concern is the left hand bass issue. As I indicated in my original post, I am going to get stuck being the bass player (left hand bass) as well as doing the piano, organ, string parts with my right hand. How do you think putting the bass into the mix will affect the entire sound coming out of the KBR-M?
Yamis

With my (albeit limited) experience at doing left handed bass, I have found that it sounds way better with a separate rig for bass. Meaning, a keyboard and amp set up devoted to bass alone. The few times I did it, I used my bass player's (who was away) amp, and a Korg Prophecy (using the Electric Bass Preset).

I put the Amp where he would normally have it, and at times, I forgot that he wasn't there playing. If I tried to use the same amp for everything I the bass gets lost. YRMV.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Exactly what I was thinking. When I was playing out a number of years ago, I used a Leslie 147 for organ and a separate keyboard, amp and speaker for the left hand bass. I used a Korg Poly 800 for the bass patches, a large cabinet with 2- 15 inch speakers (don't remember the make) and the amp was made by TOA. I could use the MS2000R for bass and run it through a separate amplifier. We'll see. I am going to Guitar Center and another local music store this week to check things out.
Yamis

Yamis, I used my Sumo 300s for L-hand bass a week ago at a gig. Actually I had two running stereo, but one would have been enough - I was surprised at needing less than usual volume. They took the XK3 bass pedal drawbars just fine. I thought I was going to have to ice down my left hand. You usually have to turn the Sumos way up, but they can take it. The sound is very clean. They are good value, IMHO.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived