Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Volume Pedal Hookup

zoomer

I need some advice about hooking up a volume pedal. On my old rig (Kurzweil PC88 and 2 Roland Amps) I used a Boss Volume Pedal in series from the Keyboard to the Amp. All Connections were 1/4", so no problem.

My new rig (Roland 700sx and Mackie SRM450) presents a problem, because the Boss pedal is only 1/4", and the Mackie is only XLR.

Question: How do I connect from the Keyboard, thru the Boss Pedal, then to the Mackie? The Keyboard has both 1/4" and XLR outs.

One store person said use a direct box; another an in-line transformer, another said a patch cable. I want the fewest connections, and what will work reliably, and quietly. Please Help. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RD700SX has XLR outputs; I would suggest that you connect the RD directly to the Mackie with an XLR cable, and use an EV5 or EV7 expression pedal connected to one of the FC inputs to control the volume (MIDI CC#7). That way you get the benefit of using the balanced XLR connections, resulting in the best quality signal reaching your amp, and also using the onboard volume control without introducing external attenuation (always a source of noise, no matter how minor).

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

The RD700SX has XLR outputs; I would suggest that you connect the RD directly to the Mackie with an XLR cable, and use an EV5 or EV7 expression pedal connected to one of the FC inputs to control the volume (MIDI CC#7). That way you get the benefit of using the balanced XLR connections, resulting in the best quality signal reaching your amp, and also using the onboard volume control without introducing external attenuation (always a source of noise, no matter how minor).

Cheers,

SG

Sven's dead right. Volume pedals are a menace in any rig but especially with an SRM450 - as Sven says amongst other problems they can introduce unwanted attenuation, and the SRM450 is best driven with nominal signals. You can turn them up to deal with signals that are down in level but then they can get noisy.

Archived