Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Vamping mean?

Loufrance

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To play a rhythmic pattern appropriate to the genre over a single chord for a number of measures, or at most, over a fairly simple chord progression.

"OK, people. For the sax solo in Bill Withers' 'Use Me,' let;s have the keys and guitar vamp on a I - IV."

Alternatively, it refers to intimate behavior inspired by Anne Rice's novels, but this forum is PG-13 at its raciest, so I'll stop there.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Vamping is when you repeat a single chord or a simple progression of chords for an indefinite (or sometimes definite) amount of time, usually, but not always, with a repeated rhythmic figure. The best example I can think of off the top of my head (because I just played this tune tonight on a gig) is Vince Guaraldi's "Skating" from Charlie Brown Christmas. The solo section for this tune is a vamp over the chords C, F, G, and F. The intro for this tune (same chords actually) is also a vamp. Maybe someone else can provide a better example. I'm tired. Hope that helps though

Repeat a short passage until otherwise instructed.

Isn't the root of 'vamping' in vaudeville/burlesque? You 'vamp' while the hoochie mama strips? Or, you vamp while she 'vamps'? Sounds right.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Originally posted by Loufrance:

A question I could not find the answer to....

What does vamping mean?

You will often see a few bars in books for musicals marked "vamp till ready". Usually before an ensemble scene because its always a high energy riff.

The alternative is to write out some music that is repeated an indefinite number of times to accomodate a scene change but this is not a vamp - its an interlude. Typically an interlude will recapitulate melodic material already heard.

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

To play a rhythmic pattern appropriate to the genre over a single chord for a number of measures, or at most, over a fairly simple chord progression.

"OK, people. For the sax solo in Bill Withers' 'Use Me,' let;s have the keys and guitar vamp on a I - IV."

Alternatively, it refers to intimate behavior inspired by Anne Rice's novels, but this forum is PG-13 at its raciest, so I'll stop there.

(Loufrance)"Smiles like Benny Hill"

Thanks for the reply Stephen(and everyone else)

I think I could understand the concept a little better if I could hear some audio examples, could someone direct me to some.

Archived