Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Disabling windows from using my sound card?

So I disabled my onboard soundchip and now my computer is acting screwy and music apps are locking up way more than they used to. Could this be caused by Windows now accessing my Delta 66 for it's everyday multimedia sounds? And is there a way to disable it?
I have no homepage.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either it's that, or look elsewhere in your BIOS and see if there's a section called "Legacy Audio." It's going to force everything to be Soundblaster compatible, and that might be causing the problem. It also has impact on your on-board MPU-401 port, and several other things. Just set it to "Disabled," and that might do the trick. ..Joe
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

You can choose which audio card supports playback, recording, and MIDI in Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. You might be able to disable the on-board audio in Windows/System. You can permanently disable the on-board audio in your motherboard Bios. You can also choose no sounds, and no audio devices, in the Control Panel, and leave your on-board audio on. This is what I have chosen to do, with apparently no hit on the CPU or PCI bus. Windows sounds through a high-end card can be a bad thing. :mad: I have a separate partition for audio apps, so that is configured differently than the main partition.

Got it. Thanks for the help Doug. Quick question: I uninstalled the soundchip application and drivers, and that was O.K., but when I moved the jumpers on the mobo to completely disable it, that's when things started going wrong. Is there any harm in moving the jumpers back (enabling the soundchip) but not having the drivers installed? Will this confuse Windows? Is this what you did?...
I have no homepage.

That's what I did... I disabled the onboard soundcard drivers in Windows, and all my audio software is set to use my Digital Audio Labs card, but I did not disable the onboard sound in hardware or the BIOS. It works fine that way.

Archived