Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a synth under $800

part1sts

Well not exacly 800, but not over a grand. I have looked into the ion, micron, and thats about it. I want a lot of customizing options, great pads, weird noises, authentic lush sounds, and control while Im playing... I do not know much about synths. Im also open to older synths, as in poly analogs and what not. I need something that is... not huge or too heavy, affordable, durable, won't sound cheesy in a few years, and inspiring to play. Waldorfs, Rolands, bla blas, are all in the category so please feed me with your knowledge.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh ya and I also want to have a good vocoder, if that is what it is called. The technology where you talk or sing in the microphone and your voice gets layered with the synth sound. I think one of the newer korgs have one. THANKS!!

You have a lot choices in the VA set.

Ion/Micron are first to mind, and yes the MicroKorg has a vocoder but with limited polyphony. Used, you could get nice sounds out of a JP8000, AN1X or Z1 and mate it with a Micro modular for the vocoder.

However, I think the Ion does what you want very efficiently and effectively.

Jerry

Is a module okay, or does it have to have Keys?

Creamware just came out with its Pro-12 module, a Prophet 5 knockoff. MSRP $789 Euro, so probably $700 or so street, USD. Very tweakable, and Creamware's good at this stuff.

I'd be tempted to get it, but I have a Prophet-5 and a (software) Pro-52 already.

Other digilogs I like include the Ion and the Novation K and X lines. My K-Station rocks!

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

ive tried it, and was not impressed with the sound. Now I am considering either an ion, micron, a novation k or x, but Im still intrigued by waldorfs and older synths. I guess I have to hear demos and so on and on... At the moment I am trying to find comparisons between all these boards

I'd say an Alesis ION instead of a Korg MS2000 or MS2000B. The Korg is an older generation VA and sounds a bit more harsh than the ION. And as Tom pointed out, it's a four voice synth, the Ion is an eight voice. The ION does some great sounding leads, it sounds quite a bit like the Mini Moog, although NO VA is a ballsy as an RA. The Pads are pretty decent and the sound effects are good too.

The performance mode allows you put combine up to four different voice patches in the same performance setup so you can layer things as needed, and shut different sounds on and off with the touch of a button.

The MAP price has gone down to $599.00 on the Internet so it's a great value. The Keyboard action isn't the greatest in the world, it's appropriate for a synth in that price range and is certainly playable.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike: Why do people sometimes prefer the micron over the ion? and does the Ion have a sequencer? For example, for live shows I wanna be able to press a button and have a D note be played every four notes, or a chord, for a certain amount of time, and still play over it on the synth that I buy... Thank you.

Hey Parts1sts:

Why do some players prefer the Micron? #1 reason is COST. Also, the Micron has on board FX (a reverb chip). I have effects in my rack case so I don't care about the limited FX on the ION. The Micron also has something of a sequencer, although to me it seems more like a programmable arpegiator. I really don't have much use for either for the music I play. I have a full blown sequencer in both my Motif ES8 and Ensoniq TS10, so I really wouldn't make use of it. I primarily bought it because of the full compliment of real time controls, its easy to program and its a FULL FLEDGE synth. Best UI on a synth I've ever used. I have a number vintage synths, so I'm not puffing smoke.

The Micron is geared more to the home studio player that needs to have everything under one roof. The draw back is, it's more difficult to program than the Ion, although Alesis has done an admirable job of using the KB for changing parameters. If you need the features the Micron has, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you.

They had a problem with the main control knob breaking off on some of the early Micron's, but I understand that's been taken care of. The ION and the Micron have the same engine. Can't beat the Micron for $399.00.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

well i guess i could just run a few pedals to the ion and it would do the same job right? Which one is more live friendly? And i was thinking either getting a micron and using it with my qs7.1 or just selling my q and getting the ion. What do you think?

Don't count on getting more than $300 for the 7.1.

Y'know, the 7.1 makes an EXCELLENT controller for a module, though apprently you'd *really* (x3) prefer keys, LOL.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

The Ion will give you a lot or bread-and-butter synth sounds that compliment the Kurz nicely. If you are adventerous and are keen to twist knobs, try the Nord Lead 2X.

You made a conscious choice to spend a few more $$$ to get the PC2x over the PC1x, which was wise.

When you look for that second 'board, think about what you can't do with the one you have first. Whether you are playing covers, composing originals, or playing in church, work out what you CAN'T do with your existing tools and use that as the basis for your next purchase.

The idea is to limit the amount of times you have to trade or change equipment, which not only saves you money in the long run but allows you to dig deeper into the equipment you own.

I'll ge off my soap box now :)

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

thanks for the advice. It has really come down to the micron or the ion. I am going to be using them live. I dont know much about synthesis but Im doing this with the intention of learning it more. I do compose my own music, no covers. So basically its going to be either the micron with the qs or the ion... Again I dont know how Im going to work a vocoder out. Someone was saying that microns vocoder is no good. And Im buying the synth with the intenion to not exchange it or sell it in a few months or years. I want something that will grow on me.

A Virus KC is probably right at the high end of your price range, but would be worth considering. Or maybe just the Virus C desktop or the Indigo (3-octave), which would definitely get you down into the price range. Lots of polyphony (16 parts, 24-32 voices, depending on the algorithm), lots of knobs, good effects, and a fat sound. And it's a whole 'nuther animal since they added the Minimood filter emulation; it's almost like it's two synths: the classic Virus, which doesn't really sound like anything else (IMHO), and a good Moog copy.

The Vocoder is so-so, but then so is every other one that's built into a synth, IMHO. The only thing that it doesn't have is a sequencer; just an arpeggiator. With 16 parts, though, and the many arpeggios available, it's possible to use the LFOs and filtering to simulate a real sequencer for simplee riffs. (simple example: the background riff in Cheap Trick's "Surrender" can be made as two parts, an alternating I-VIII, and a stabing 5th in the middle.)

I owned and sold the Ion. I hated the keybed -- worst one on any synth I've ever owned, including the lowly Mini-Korg I used in the '70s -- and didn't really buy into the rotary encoder idea, either. It did sound analog, though. The Ion (and probably the Micron, too) is a good "copycat" synth. It really doesn't have a personality of its own, but it makes it easy to sound like a Moog or ARP or Roland.

Just my $0.02USD ...

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

Is the Acces Virus sound that much better than the Ion? I mean if the keybed is the only issue than I dunno if its worth the extra money for a USED Virus when I could get a new Ion or Micron...

Originally posted by part1sts:

and mate it with a Micro modular for the vocoder.

What do you mean?

The original Nord Modular series, had a bunch of dsp tools you could string together. One of those tools is a vocoder. If you got a used micromodular (about $300) it would do the vocoder and special tricks you needed while other VA covered the bread and butter analog. Or you could get a used NM for within you budget, and that would cover all your requirements.

However ... I'm not recommending this option. :D

The Nord Modular series are complex beasts to cut your VA programming skills on. If you can find the features you want in one package you will spend more time on music. Also I agree that generally new is better than used for VA's. The improvement curve has been significant.

Jerry

Archived