Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your are not going to believe this Porta B

Spaceboy92

This kills me. Something says buy it. Something else says save my money for a leslie. But this is SUCH a steal, i'm incredibly tempted. Any opinions on the Porta B? Is the tone as good as the real thing? or should I just stick with the M100? I think the porta has real tonewheels, but still has the same key range as an M.

Also, check out the cool paint job. I think i saw this sell on ebay about 2 months ago, with a big 760 leslie with all sorts of glow paint on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=7367169577

"wherever you go, there you are"

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why bother practicing??"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tone-wise, it's a lot closer to your M-100 than to a full B-3. Doesn't do foldback, for one thing, though you can modify it to do so.

Porta-B's come along fairly regularly, and you don't want one where the first thing you have to do is replace keys. I'd let this slide...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

good advice, thanks very much. Also good to know the sound wouldn't be too much of an improvement. I had sort of decided to let it go as well, and hold out for the real thing. a leslie seems more important right now. This definately makes me confident about my decision, thanks.

too bad the paint job is just so COOL though...

"wherever you go, there you are"

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why bother practicing??"

A Porta-B is the same as a L100, without the tabs. A M-100 has true scanner vibrato, while a Porta-B/L-100 is a electronic circuit. I broke two keys on my Porta-B in the short two years I had it. It was a good trade to get a Hammond AV, Hammond A, Leslie 31H and Leslie 21H for my Porta-B ;)

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Archived