Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

comments from the synth player

rzzzzz

Happened upon Herbie Hancock's newly remastered Sextant. Really enjoyed his great keyboards, particularly the electro mechanical stuff (rhodes, mellotron and D-6). Just for grins I thought I'd check out some amazon reviews and found this:

" Look, it is indeed an innovative recording, and much credit is due Herbie for big ears and hearing what it was I was doing and incorporating it into his band (from Crossings to Sextant and a few guest recording appearances afterward, none of significance after Sextant). But, darnit, they weren't Herbie's innovations, they were mine. I fought my way into the band (even Herbie's rock/funk oriented producer, David Rubinson, initially had doubts), and when I first joined the band, Downbeat slammed Crossings, saying "the less said about the synth player the better," and then a year and a half later nominated me for outstanding new jazz artist and called me a pioneer of electronic jazz--which was literally true: I was the first guy there. But history has apparently decided otherwise (which is why we need better historians) and I've been "disappeared" in favor of a simpler story, where Herbie introduced synths to jazz. Not quite.

(Dr.)Patrick Gleeson (patrickgleeson.com) "

Giving this and Crossings another listen, gotta admit that the opulent Arp work on both is nothing less than fantastic. kudos Dr. Gleeson think there's room for credit all around.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived