Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Khan has sinned, and I have sold my soul to Satan

Yes,I bought Windows XP Pro yesterday, and tonight I will create a partition and do a test run. Any advice on moving to XP? I flashed the BIOS and I've got all the drivers I need, I think. I just thought of something. What kind of info do you need to configure your modem and online connection?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its much worse than you say. I'd expect to be paid handsomely to sell my soul to the devil. You , on the other hand, just paid for the privledge of giving your soul to the devil. I'll be moving to Xp (at work) later this week. We can compare notes. At least Ive heard it boots up much faster than NT4 that I'm now running. So, there will be at least one thing that I find useful about it.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]kind of info do you need to configure your modem and online connection?[/b][/quote]You won't have to do anything,the OS will install your modem during OS install.Soon Wewus,you can look down your nose at these lowly Steve Jobs servants. :wave:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

1. Get Norton Ghost 2002. 2. Back up your current system drive with Ghost. 3. Wipe the system drive, or use something like Partition Magic if you're going to do a dual boot system. 4. Install XP. It's pretty painless, but if everything goes to hell in a handbasket, you've got the Ghost image file and can restore to where you are right now in no time at all. 5. Use Ghost again once you get everything up and running to your satisfaction with XP. Trust me guys, XP is by FAR the most reliable, the most stable Windows ever coded. That's not really saying much, but it really IS a whole 'nuther world compared to earlier "efforts" :freak: like Win 95 / 98 / ME.

Ditto getting Ghost. I just purchased the latest version and it's wonderful! There are some tweaks mentioned at [url=http://www.musicxp.net]www.audioxp.net[/url] that you can try, but it is pretty damn good right out of the box. I prefer the classic interface/start menu to the new XP look. I also disable all of the new visual enhancements. Oh yeah, and the Clear Text option looks so much better if you have a LCD display.

And again, Phil pretty much hit te nail right on the damn head! With XP you dont really need to configure any hardware. Not [i]most[/i], anyway. One thing, though. When I first installed it, I tried doing all the recommended tweaks to boost performance. I tried every conceivable senario. Ack! Dont bother. I reinstalled and have been running the system at default with much better results. Just my experience. YMMV

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

I found that the drivers for my Aarvark card were a little funny. That's a function of the Aarvark drivers though. Everything else is peaches and cream. If you set it up to reserve memory for cache, switching between programs can be a little slow. I didn't find any apprciable advantage in speed from the default settings.
I really don't know what to put here.

Ya know, I heard the same "stability" song when Win95 was released...and then again for Win98...and then for... Is there some kind of a pattern here? Anyway, I'm running WinME right now and I ain't got a complaint. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I will be watching. I know the Wewus well enough to be able to predict that we will all have a good idea of how satisfied he is with XP here shortly! Good luck Wew! ;)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln Hammer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]kind of info do you need to configure your modem and online connection?[/b][/quote]You won't have to do anything,the OS will install your modem during OS install.Soon Wewus,you can look down your nose at these lowly Steve Jobs servants. :wave: [/b][/quote]It must be nice to look down your nose whilst you're taking it up the arse ;) Word of (serious) advice to XP installers, make sure you have the correct XP modem driver on a floppy/CD before you start installing. DOn't assume that XP will come with one. Trying to download drivers for other hardware can be especially tricky without a working modem driver ;)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

wrave, you're a lucky guy. If ever there was a broke system, WinME is it IMHO. I had nothing but trouble trying te keep my Dad's ME system running & happy - when he went to XP Pro it fixed SO many things it was unbelieveable (aside from all the old software he had to replace, of course...).

Christopher, it's really been pretty stable for me. I have had an occasional spontaneous shutdown but that's usually when I am asking the system to jump thru some pretty tricky hoops. And I'm not sure that's the OS as much as it may be applications that aren't built all that well. As an audio system it's OK although I do have to say it has been tricky getting all that I have loaded on it to cooperate. But following the manufacturer's recommendations, shutting off all unnecessary software utilities, screen blankers, win sounds, etc., shure helped a lot. But, of course, one of these days I'll have to switch anyway. I still see too many problems with XP posted on these forums. I'm just waitin' to see what happens. And I'm hoping that someone will put out the audio app that we can all use on the Linux OS. After all, how much trouble can it be to port Mac apps to Linux now that OS X is built on top of BSD (Linux)? It's coming and then I'll be ready to jump! :D

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Screw this bullshit. I've got some kind of hard drive or motherboard problem or who knows what. I thought the BIOS was updated but it's not, it defaulted back to AO5 and it's now up to A11 but it won't update. It says it does and then it defaults to the original BIOS. WTF?!!! So I thought I'd skip that step and partition my drive for a dual boot but the freaking partitioning program won't work. Screw it, I'm just going to go buy another hard drive I guess.

thats funny, my 6 year old mac still runs 32 tracks of 24bits and as worked as well for six years (of course due to shitty digidesign crap it hasnt ran 32 tracks the whole time) gee, guess i didnt get me moneys worth eh? one upgrade in 6 years to the cpu to a g3 ($150) one upgrade to os 9.1 ($~100) oh, i want to have problems! maybe i too should buy one of the widows dos. oh wait, i have one on the floor, and its nothing but trouble

Archived