Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played the Casio PX-110 digital piano today

Jazz+

I played the PX-110 at Guitar Center today.

The Piano has much better clarity than the PX-100 and PX-300.

The bass reflex speaker system is another improvement.

The action/response still feels sluggish to me.

They changed the EP. The old PX-100 had a "vintage" sounding Rhodes that I liked. The new EP is something else and I don't like it.

I compared the PX-110 to the old PX-300, Roland FP5 and Yamaha P-120.

I also noticed that the newer P250 at Guitar Center has an easier to play, lighter action that my old P250 at home. I got one of the first ones, so I guess they changed the action since then!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jazz+:

They changed the EP. The old PX-100 had a "vintage" sounding Rhodes that I liked. The new EP is something else and I don't like it.

The relatively minimalist PX-110 has two EPs.

However, the "and more" PX-310 has eight.

To help satisfy your curiosity about these upgraded instruments,

check out their manuals:

PX-110 :

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/emi/en/px_110/01_e.pdf

PX-310 :

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/emi/en/px_310/01_e.pdf

Yes, PX-110 has two EPs, neither of which sounds like a "vintage" Rhodes. I did not get to play a PX-310, they still had the PX-300 on the floor and it had the old "vintage" Rhodes that the PX-100 used to have before they replaced it with something else.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

After playing the newer P250 in GC yesterday, I suspect they have lightened some of their actions.

So Jazz, what's the verdict? Would you consider it a contender to become part of your live rig (I know you don't like its EPs but I don't know how important the EPs are in your playing)?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

"Vintage" Rhodes "Suitcase" EP is my main sound. I am never pleased by digital acoustic piano sounds, to me they sound artificial and clangy. I would never consider the Casio PX-110 because it lacks a decent "vintage" Rhodes sound. I also would never use the Casio because I find its action to be too sluggish.

I played a 9' Kawai Concert Grand the other day, excellent action. Sounded great, too. But it didn't have EP's, and that for a >$100,000 instrument...please

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

The PX series is a good choice for what it offers, however, I'm still disappointed that the new versions are still limited to 32-note polyphony. So, I guess a stereo piano program will only have 16-note polyphony. :(

If Casio would have added 64-note polyphony, like their old Celviano line, I would probably get one.

Archived