Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianist magazine?

Dave Horne

I saw an ad in the last issue of Keyboard for that magazine and decided to try a subscription. Does anyone here also subscribe to that magazine?

There really aren't all that many magazines for keyboard players and I thought it might be interesting. If it doesn't work out, I can cancel it and get my money back for unsent issues.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by marino:

Pianist Magazine? Interesting. A link please?

(The latest issue of Keyboard is not on the newsstand here yet)

http://www.pianistmagazine.com/

Last post of the day.

Marino, did you read the thread on page 2 regarding your contribution to a Keyboard magazine feature on a literacy thread here? Check out the thread on page 2 starting with 'Stephen Fortner ....'.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

"The Piano Stylist" was a great subscription that came by mail every couple of months during the 80's and 90's. (no ads in it!) It contained jazz piano lessons and transcriptions of players like Earl Father Hines, Fats Waller, Jess Stacy, Kenny Barron, Cedar Walton and Ramsey Lewis, etc. It had great contributing authors like Mark Levine, Andy Laverne, Don Hass, Dick Hyman, etc. I'm glad I still have all my back issues. There is so much in them that I have not gotten around to studying.

Levine had a lesson on reharmonizing on the fly that he left out of his books. It's the hippest technique for reharmonizing any tune in real time that I have ever tried.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

For classical, a great one (in french) is "Le monde de la Musique". At least once a year, they compare thirty great uprights, mostly European pianos but also Yamahas and Steinways, in three different price ranges. Also incredible interviews with legends like Ligeti, Deller, Midori, etc. Many critics with a lot of details about interprets on new classical CDs and so on.

Jazz+, I'd be quite curious about that Mark Levine piece. I don't suppose you have the article in an electronic form (.pdf, word doc, scanned pages?) that you might send along? Seems unlikely, but if it's at all possible, I'd love a look.

Archived