Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

vk8 vs. xk3

tonyd

Does anybody have any comments or feelings either way?

I own a vk8 and use it, my own keyboard, and a set of hammond pedals with MIDI to play jazz gigs. Is the xk3 better?

I can't afford to haul a hammond or even afford a real b-3.

Any help?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jon Doe:

[QB] You might give this thread a read as well. I think you'll find that properly tweaked your Roland will be more than up to the task...

I will offer the opposite view. I had a VK-7 for a long time and had a big test drive with the VK-8. They don't even touch the XK-3. Side by side, the Roland stuff sounds thin and weak.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

The Rolank VK-8 is very tweakable, and if you spend some time with it, you'll be amazed at how close you can come to making it sound like a real Hammond. A side by side comparison could be misleading depending on how the Roland is set up.

I owned an XK3 and a Roland V-Combo (which contains the VK-8 engine and more). I set them up on a 2-tier stand and played them through a simple keyboard amp. I was able to get identical sounds from both instruments. The tweaking was as simple as selecting a different B-3 "model" on the Roland (I believe there are 3 choices).

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Calumet:

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

[QB] You might give this thread a read as well. I think you'll find that properly tweaked your Roland will be more than up to the task...

I will offer the opposite view. I had a VK-7 for a long time and had a big test drive with the VK-8. They don't even touch the XK-3. Side by side, the Roland stuff sounds thin and weak.

I can't agree with this assesment at all. Thin is not a word you can use with the VK8. I in fact looked at both boards closely before going with the VK8 but its quite possible if I repeated the comparison I would go the other way - there is no doubt that the XK3 is a nice board too.

Also your decision will in part depend on whether you intend to carry a real Leslie. I did not as my primary board is my piano (although my Hammond playing is getting quite decent).

I initially looked at buying a MS Pro 145 for my V-Combo. It sure sounded good as any leslie would too, but after getting a good handle on how to tweak the V-Combo I've come to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time. With a good quality keyboard amp and some quick tweaking you have a good leslie already.

This way I only need one amp for everything.

No signature required.

Originally posted by tonyd:

I do intend to get a new Leslie 21 system.

Does that make a difference?

Tony D

Yes - it means that the Leslie sims and quite possibly the overdrive sims will not be of interest to you in your comparison. It changes what is important.

When I compared the VK-8 and XK-3 side by side (November 2004) I didn't think the Roland sounded thin or weak at all. With similar controls set flat or nominal (drawbars, EQ, matching rotary sim speeds as closely as possible, etc) the Roland comes off as darker and a little "softer" overall.

Real Leslie, tend to smooth out some of the sound anyway, and on this score, the XK has more high end--not just treble, but detail--that won't get lost in the big wooden box. I've played the Leslie 21 system, and the rolloff is less pronounced than a vintage cabinet, for sure.

Another factor is price - checking Sweetwater, the VK-8 streets around $600 less than the XK-3, making it a really good value for the money. It's a great sounding keyboard.

My opinion is that drawbar for drawbar, no other hardware clonewheel comes closer to the real thing, except the five-figure "New B3" of course. The Leslie simulation is definitely the weak spot - usable, but not great. Through any kind of real rotary system, the XK is just stunning.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Rabid:

Does the XK-3 have the same input options as the VK-8? One thing I really like about the VK-8 is the ability to connect a second keyboard and use it as a second manual. The drawbars can be set seperately for the second keyboard.

Robert

The XK-3 has two MIDI inputs - one for a 2nd keyboard and another for pedals. It also has a separate set of drawbars that can either be used as a second set for the top manual (the A# preset, like a real B3) or dedicated to the lower manual. In single manual mode, the keyboard can be split, with the lower half representing the lower manual. So it can function pretty effectively as either a single or dual manual organ. Finally, it also has 2 bass drawbars - either for real bass pedals, or the bass sounds can be "layered" on the bottom of whichever keyboard serves as the lower manual, so bass can be played without having bass pedals. Pretty versatile.

Hope this helps.

-Bob

The XK-3 has tubes. And they can easily be replaced with ones that provide your personal preference regarding overdriven scream. Or just the right amount of "Tone". The Digital Tonewheels are individually very tweakable so that along with your choice of tubes and other fine tuning, there won't be another one on the planet that sounds like "your" B3.

And when the time comes, you can have this:

http://www.hammondorganco.com/product_set4.htm

http://www.hammondorganco.com/images/XKsystem-1.jpg

Archived