Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just ordered a Yamaha P90...

mdlestat

Please, all of you that like this keyboard-- speak up and keep me excited about spending $900 that I probably shouldn't have spent! :D

God, I'm so happy though-- I've been looking for a good e-piano for a long time, and finally took the plunge-- :thu:

(if you don't like this particular board, congrats! Please leave your comments elsewhere, lol, I don't need any second-guessing :P )

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one this year, it's the best thing to come out in years. The piano and EP sounds are very authentic. I used to play Rhodes, Wurly, and Clav and the P90 nailed them. The piano sounds are great. I've been gigging with the P90 and it's been sounding great, and it's compact too. I love it.

I don't use the Hammond or strings on the P90, I got the Hammond XK-3 and Andromeda to cover those and everything else.

I don't think you could get a better professional Electronic Piano for less than $900.

I just started looking for a gigging keyboard. P-90 is on top of my list for the $1000 or less category. It is very compact, which is one of my requirements, but not expandable, my second requirement. I'm not complaining, but I would pay $300 more if it had that feature.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase

The P90 is a nice board but it won't run on North Carolina current. It seems the frequency is all wrong. Believe me. I tried it. Normal power oscillates at 60 cycles per second. Everybody in the United States uses 60 cycles as their standard. But not North Carolina. In NC the standard is only 57 cycles. It would have cost the state more to raise the frequency to 60 cycles, so they settled for 57. I've never had a problem with any other keyboard except the P90. Weird, isn't it?
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

The P90 is a nice board but it won't run on North Carolina current. It seems the frequency is all wrong. Believe me. I tried it. Normal power oscillates at 60 cycles per second. Everybody in the United States uses 60 cycles as their standard. But not North Carolina. In NC the standard is only 57 cycles. It would have cost the state more to raise the frequency to 60 cycles, so they settled for 57. I've never had a problem with any other keyboard except the P90. Weird, isn't it?

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

North Carolina (NC) - the third type of current;

DC = Direct Current

AC = Alternating Current

NC = No Current (as in here comes another f**ken hurricane).

I'll probably have to apologize later (again).

:P:D

exactly.

Of course, nobody cares about a tiny storm like this one.

But it's OK. I went out and bought a generator today.

And Yes :rolleyes: it's 57 cycles... It costs almost 50% more to get 'em custom made for NC, but that's the price you pay for living here I guess.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It costs almost 50% more to get 'em custom made for NC, but that's the price you pay for living here I guess.
Well that's stretching it a bit - no ones pays MSRP for anything these days-even custom power supply fitted units are price negotiable. I'd shoot for 25%-30% over the basic 60Hz version.

OK. :rolleyes:

Since this has fallen to page two, and nobody reads past the first half of page one anyway, I guess I'll go ahead and tell you that I was kidding about the current frequency in NC being 57 cycles.

Either you guys just don't care (likely), or you read it and figured that it was just one more back-woods thing that was done here in the South (more likely), or you glanced by my post and figured that I was full of baloney anyway so it wasn't worth the time to get all riled up about it (I probably hit the mark with that one) :idea: ...

I figure you win a few, lose a few.. As with sheep, you just throw a bunch of em up against a wall and see which ones stick. Ya know? :freak:

I'll try to do better. ;)

Tom

PS For all you technical geeks out there, as well as all of you HAMMOND ORGAN AFICIONDOS, I'm certain that you KNOW that the frequency remains a constant 60 cycles per second all across the United States...

However, during shearing season, the voltage can drop precipitously. :cool:

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/Images/EducImages/SHEEPS~1.gif

http://www.windowonwales.co.uk/dbfiles/WOW%20postcard.jpg

LOL-- thanks for the responses guys-- even the hilarians amongst us ;)

Sorry for the delay in response, as our lovely lady Ophelia caused a bit of perturbance in my internet access...

I appreciate the kind words... (and fascinating factoids on sheep-shearing)

cheers-- I'll let you all know how much I love this beauty wheen it gets here beginning of next week:)

PS-- I am almost exclusively interested in the piano sounds from this board-- that was my only real consideration patch-wise, and from every review I've seen, I already KNOW I won't be disappointed...

Blue Sun-- I am the biggest NIN fan EVAR!!11!!1!!one!!!1

G'day to you, NIN-mate, and here's looking ahead to a tour date somewhere near me in NC (can't make the DC show, dammit) My last live viewing was Fragility 2.0 in '99-- or was it 2000... I was a little...umm..."altered" in my state of consciousness that year..I mean... that day....yeah-- that day. :freak::thu:

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Archived