Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice needed by newbie

sigee

Hi All

I know nothing about synths apart from the fact that I want one.

Im after some thing that is as cheap and easy to use as possible.I want to be able to creat my own sounds and download and use ready made sounds.I also want to muck about with human voices.It would be nice if I could connect it up to my computer.

I dont have a clue what to buy so any advice would be much apreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump! Sorry, I don't really know a whole lot about which synths are best for which, but here is a link that may help you get a feel for making your own sounds. Good luck man.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/programmer.html

Sigee - why don't you start with something simple and cheap? How about using some FREE VST's with an inexpensive sequencer program like Mackie Tracktion? Since you want to be able to muck about with human voices too, you will need a microphone and good audio interface for your PC.....

The Mackie Spike is available for only $249 from Sweetwater and other places. Mackie bundle a copy of Tracktion 2 with this free!

Tracktion supports VST plugins. You could try Synth1 - that should be a good start.

You could pick up a (good enough) used mic on eBay for about $150. Depending on how you want to enter your music, you may or may not need a keyboard. I'd suggest getting an inexpensive controller keyboard to start with - something like the M-Audio Keystation 49 . So, for around $500, you could be making sweet music and recording your voice/instruments.....

Good luck!

:DTR

Hi DTR

Thanks for the info but what you suggest is a little over the top for me.

Iv had a little advice from else where and I think I am going to opt for a midi controller keyboard.As for voice recording equipment,I already have what I need for that as I am a radio ham.

Now all I need to sort out is what controller keyboard to buy and what software to use.Any pointers on these would be much apreciated.

Thanks again for the advice/info/help..

All the best

Si

You could try Synth1 - that should be a good start.

DTR, is this a free VST? It looks cool on the link, but the cite is in another language that I can't begin to decifer! If it is, where on the page can you download it? Thanks.

just scroll down a bit till you see 'download' (in english).

under this you'll see 'synth 1 - Ver 1.06'

click on the underlined, blue 'synth1.zip'.

you can also download the manual in english.

i use this on a pc, not sure if it works with macs, but this is one of the best free softsynths out there - give it a try.

if you're looking for good free softsynths, you may also want to give this one a try. it's excellent, but requires a little more computer power:

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html

Originally posted by sigee:

Hi DTR

Thanks for the info but what you suggest is a little over the top for me.

Iv had a little advice from else where and I think I am going to opt for a midi controller keyboard.As for voice recording equipment,I already have what I need for that as I am a radio ham.

Now all I need to sort out is what controller keyboard to buy and what software to use.Any pointers on these would be much apreciated.

Thanks again for the advice/info/help..

All the best

Si

Hi Si,

Hey, wadya know, I'm a ham radio guy too - AD6A - . What's your callsign Si?

I guess you have a good-enough mic and audio interface already then....certainly, the Heil Studio 1 mic that I have on my TenTec Orion is good enough for studio vocal work!

If you get a midi controller keyboard, make sure you have enough cash left over for a midi sound module or some decent software instruments (for your PC).

What's the significance of your handle? Does it refer to SiGe (Silicon Germanium process)? Do you work for SiGe Semiconductor? What?

Good luck es 73!

:DTR

P.S. My dad and twin brother live in Cornwall...say Hi! to them next time you run into them....

Hi TDR

Its a small world isnt it.My call sign is 2E0SIG and although I dont have a heil I am more than happy with an MC60 and a rigblaster.

Do you realy have to pay for software instuments ?..Cant you get shareware ones any more ?.

Iv never heard of SiGe and you may have noticed the SIG in my callsign.I get asked if Im a member of the Royal Signals alot on air but the truth is both my callsign and my handle are just my name...Simon Gee..SiGee.

Where abouts in Cornwall are your family ?.I live in Tintagel up on the north coast.Aparently King Arthur came from here..well dont tell the holiday makers but he didnt,and his castle is realy a monastery,and it was built 300 years after he died..lol.

73's mate

Si

Oh I forgot to ask....

Has anyone ever heard of the TERRATEC TMP1 and is it any good.

Also how the hell do you use Cubase SX3...I am so glad I only borrowed it as I dont have a clue how to get it to do anything (doh)

under this you'll see 'synth 1 - Ver 1.06'

click on the underlined, blue 'synth1.zip'.

you can also download the manual in english.

Thanks a whole lot!!

My grandpa was a ham operator too! His call sign used to be KA4EEK. I used to listen to him and my dad talk electronics at the dinner table when I was very yound and I picked a lot of my technical foundation from them! Good luck getting started!

Archived