Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This weekend I got the.......

SilverDragonSoun

It was hot, sticky morning in Phoenix, Arizona. :mad: I was walking up to the local temple of sounds knowing I was about to embark on a journey of epic proportions. I opened the door knowing exactly where I needed to go. To my left in red lights I saw the word Keyboards. :cool: I could feel the excitement and fear all rushing through my body at the same time as I approached the technological beasts. Past the new S90ES, the classic S90 and RD 700SX I walked and smiled with a respect of knowing them as if they were old friends. :) I next walked down the heart of this section and saw the workhorses of the group, Triton, Fantom and Motif. Finally my eyes widened and my heart pounded, there was my first purchase in a long while, the M Audio keystation pro and the Roland Fantom XR module. :evil: He gave me my receipt and I took possession on my new gear. Remembering my mentor's advice from my gear whores anonymous meetings I gently placed the gear in my car and drove home and set it up. The reality then hit me like a ton of bricks. Crap I thought to myself, I've never owned a module or controller. :confused: The keystation pro with all its nobs and sliders laughing at me as if I was trying to lift 1000 pounds over my head. I looked back at with a fear and intimidation I felt once before with my old friend Korg M1. I was immediately relieved to see such a small manual and laughed right back at the keystation pro. I'll have you figured out by the end of the weekend I exclaimed arrogantly as I hoped I could back my words. It's now Tuesday afternoon. I write this as I remember it from this weekend. I look in the mirror, see my grey hairs which were once brown and realize after hours of tinkering with the keystation pro I don't know how to do a damn thing on it except play the Fantom XR through it. :o Hopefully I can conquer this great technological beast before I die.

So to some up the long and short of it, I got a keystation pro 88 and Fantom XR in an effort to consolidate space now and in the future. The keystation 88 pro is monster and it seems like the manual is written with an assumptive understanding of knowledge and key concepts by the user. I've never used a controller before and hopefully I can figure it out. Hope you all had a great long weekend!

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations! I have a Fantom XR as well and love it! :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Chris,

Ha-ha! I can sympathize. The Keystation is the Mother of all controllers. The manual is woefully inadequate (what else is new?). It seems that the M-Audio keyboards are not held in high regard on this board, so don't be surprised by a lack of interest in your post. I was encouraged by the KB article about T. Reznor who uses two Gothed-up Keystations. Some things I have noted, for what it's worth:

1. Some controls have a factory assignment, though it is not documented. For instance, on my board, the right-most slider was master volume. Some of the B Group had other assigments. I had to re-assign them. My point is that if you are not aware of it, controllers can move during transport to a gig or whatever, and you'll be wondering why the board is behaving strangely. Make sure you identify the assigment of every controller.

2. Zone Range button is key. One sentence in the manual kind of hints that Zone Range puts you into edit mode. This is a critical piece of information. You will also find that because of this, when programming a zone, the range of the zone is the last thing you should program. It is my understanding that Zone Range must be pressed for every editing function because as soon as the editing is carried out, the Zone Range light goes off and you are out of edit mode. Also, pay close attention to the Active Zone. It's easy to overlook in the beginning and you can drive yourself nuts. I haven't figured out how to take advantage of the controller groups yet.

3. The C Group of controllers are factory assigned to the first 10 or so of the Midi sound set. You can re-assign them through program, LSB & MSB messages, which is very handy, but you have to remember what button triggers what patch. My board does not allow all the C Group to be assigned in this manner however, I have no idea why.

4. Ah yes, the old "controller and sound module scheme". I am a perpetrator, thought not a totally willing one, and my sound module is a cheap one (Yamaha MU15). There is an incompatibility with the Keystation and the module such that Program change messages typed in on the Keystation must be one increment lower than the intended program number on the module. Hope this is not the case with the Fantom. This does not happen with LSB & MSB though, thank God.

5. I have made some presets, but recalling the presets does something to the Octave range that I have yet to figure out.

There is a huge amount of potential with this board, controlling machines(FF,REV etc.)triggering lights and sound effects, layering external sound sources, it's limitless.

Good luck with your board, PM me if you want to discuss it further or in the future, we can do an email thing. I would love to commiserate and, quite frankly, this post has been cathartic.

Regards,

Joe

Dreamer thanks! Looking forward to the Fantom XR. I haven't even gotten through the first bank of sounds yet. I've been reading the manual and have to admit I am in awe of everything this rack unit can do.

Rick - See your in/from Phoenix. I was at the semi-new Sam Ash store. I live on the west side (Avondale) so it comes down to Sam Ash, Guitar Center or Guitar and Keyboard City. Sam Ash gave me free stuff which sealed the deal for me. :thu:

Joe - Thanks so much for the information. I got to spend 1.5 hours more with it last night and the only thing I got out of it was more practice with my cussing skills in frustration. I am going to print out your post and put it to use. I won't get any time with the keystation until tomorrow or Friday but the information you gave me will clear up some things for me I think. Thanks for the offer of PMing you, I will probably be doing so in the next week. I really want to try and get to know the keystation so if, no I really mean when, I PM you my questions will be more specific and hopefully less confusing.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Joe P:

Chris,

Ha-ha! I can sympathize. The Keystation is the Mother of all controllers. The manual is woefully inadequate (what else is new?).

The Keystation manual was probably written by the people at Kurzweil.

Peace :cool:

Michael

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by Michael Jones:

Originally posted by Joe P:

Chris,

Ha-ha! I can sympathize. The Keystation is the Mother of all controllers. The manual is woefully inadequate (what else is new?).

The Keystation manual was probably written by the people at Kurzweil.

Peace :cool:

Michael

ooohhh -- that hurts. (not that I entirely disagree with you... :freak: )

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Rick - See your in/from Phoenix. I was at the semi-new Sam Ash store. I live on the west side (Avondale) so it comes down to Sam Ash, Guitar Center or Guitar and Keyboard City. Sam Ash gave me free stuff which sealed the deal for me. :thu:

Well, hello neighbor. I live in Avondale as well. What do ya know? Geez...

Well, hello neighbor! I live in Avondale as well!

Well how about that. Its really is a small world. If you ever want to get together PM me. I have friends that live in the Phoenix area that don't even know where Avondale is.

Done. Give me a holler!

Archived