Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Preamp?

blue and white

I was wondering if any of you guys know of any pre amps that I could use with this old tubed P.A. amp that I'm using as a keyboard amp. It sounds awesome, but I've always had to tote my mixer around with it to use as a pre, and I'd rather leave that home and have a dedicated preamp because I'm building a custom cabinet to go with it where i could build the preamp right in. I'd like to keep it under $200, but if its worth it to go higher, I will.

...Sorry for all the run-on sentences, and being long winded.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike,

First of all, NEVER APOLOGIZE for run-on sentences and being long winded. Some of the most prolific, good-looking, and well-thought-of forumites tend to be this way. (me) :rolleyes:;):P

Secondly, please describe your application. Currently it seems that you have a keyboard and are connecting it directly into a tube-based power amp meant to be used for a PA. Correct?

How loudly do you play? What type of band are you in? What type of speaker cabinet are you using with this amp? What kind of keyboard do you have & what kind of sounds are you playing with it.

This will help with our recommendations.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi Tom,

I'm in a prog-rock-ish band where sometimes I've got solos and need to standout over a drummer, guitarist, and bassist but other times I'm just in the background doing rhythm stuff. I've got a Nord Electro and a Micron that I'm using so that pretty much clarifies the sounds (rhodes, wurly, and organ mostly on the electro and synth stuff on the micron.) For a cab, it's nothing special. I assembled it out of the 12" driver, midrange, and tweeter from a speaker that took quite a damaging fall down a staircase :freak: . But it sounds alright and does the job pretty well.

And as for being long winded... I can be much more run-on if you like :D;):P

Speakeasy Vintage Music is a good place to start. However, I think their preamps may cost more than you had in your budget, Mike.

The Roland amps get pretty loud. You may want to consider them as a replacement for your current rig.

I use a JBL EON. The G2 is loud and clear, but it's $700.

I'm at a loss as far as something for $200 or less to replace your mixer. You might want to look for something used and/or save up for something a bit more expensive.

Good luck,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

There was a thread here last week about mixers ... link to thread ... and the initial poster wanted a one or two rack space unit. Berhinger makes one for $109. I know nothing about it, but there are a few one or two rack space mixers that will bring up the output of your keyboard to what the amp wants to see. In that sense a 'mixer' functions as a 'preamp', correct?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived