Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio Lighting: Help me not create a POS!

Hey folks! The electrician is about done, wired new cicuits with grounds seperate frome the rest of the house, etc...Since recessed lighting is out of the question I'm looking at some other track style lighting. I've got 4 zones in my main room, 2 zones in the control room hooked to electric faders. Who can "shed some light" ( sorry ) on these things for me & share your insight? Thanks, Dogfur
Woof!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah, what I'm trying to avoid is the guitar pickup noise & such I've heard are a problem. I sure hope somebody can help before I buy & install the wrong stuff. The lighting suppliers & electrician all say "no problem", but I'm hoping for some real world scenarios that are successful. C'mon you guys, let me know...
Woof!

Look at the stuff from IKEA. I bought some curved lighting bars with 4 halogens for like $30. they look great and dont add any buzz. If you want to make sure you dont get any buzz from lighting, use a variac instead of a dimmer. They are a little more expensive but cant cause a buzz. You can find them at most bigger home depot type of stores. Frost

A couple of other things you can grab from IKEA or similar: Wall sconces, nice diffuse classy uplight. Floor cans, cheap uplights that can turn a boring silk plant in a corner into a dramatic grotto. Improving your lighting feng shui will definitely up the creative feeling of your studio.

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

[quote]Originally posted by Frost: I bought some curved lighting bars with 4 halogens for like $30. they look great and dont add any buzz. If you want to make sure you don’t get any buzz from lighting, use a variac instead of a dimmer. They are a little more expensive but cant cause a buzz. You can find them at most bigger home depot type of stores.[/quote]I did Halogen track lighting…Home Depot (about $40 for 3 light packs and a 4’ track in each box)...each light has it's own transformer...and no buzz... ...BUT...I don't think you can put effective dimmers on these Halogens with individual transformers...everything I tried with dimmers, caused the Halogen lights to flicker ever-so-gently...I think it's because you are changing the power going to the all the trannies and so they kind of pulse up-down-up as the AC power cycles...??? Anyway...each Halogen light has a glass filter over it with a metal clip that holds the glass in place. I just took some salmon/flesh colored stage lighting gels...cut out a circle the size of the Halogen glass filter...stuck the gel between the glass and the metal clip on the outside of the light... ...and instant mood lighting! It also brought the Halogen brightness down a bit...so I gave up on bothering with dimmers...they are either on or off. These lights are focused on my console and my racks...so dimming them too much would have been counterproductive, because then I couldn’t see the knobs clearly. The lighting gels worked out super! I've got a bunch of different other colors...so I can always play around with the mood if I want to! :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Thanks for the tips folks -I'll check into the variac thing ( my electrician was not familiar...) Looks like little halogen guys are the way to go. Our local "boutique" lighting store was talkin' some pretty lousy prices for components, so this definitely makes me feel better! Thanks again, Dogfur
Woof!

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Frost: I just took some salmon/flesh colored stage lighting gels...cut out a circle the size of the Halogen glass filter...stuck the gel between the glass and the metal clip on the outside of the light... ...and instant mood lighting![/b][/quote]Niiiiiice tip miroslav! Gotta call my nearest expendables store and get the latest gel prices...

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

[quote]Originally posted by Audiobotica: Niiiiiice tip miroslav! Gotta call my nearest expendables store and get the latest gel prices...[/quote]Oh...just keep on eye on those gels...some halogen bulbs get REAL HOT...and may actually dry out/crack/maybe even melt the gels... I went with only 20W bulbs in my lights...spots on the racks...floods on the console. They are still quite bright...that's why I added the gels in the first place...to dim them down a bit...but the gels also doubled-up as "mood lighting". My sockets will take up to a 50W...but then I could probably keep French Fries hot on my console... :D I only noticed that after I first added the gels...after a "burn in" period...that they got a tad cloudy in the center. So I just took 'em and wiped them down with a dry rag...removed the "cloudiness'...and put them back. Have not had to change them since. The 20W bulbs are not melting/burning them at all.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived