Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging with a laptop

Byrdman

Who on the forum is gigging with a laptop as their main, or essential, sound generator. I am wondering what your physical setup looks like.

I have seen some slide out trays at trade shows that will mount a laptop in a rack. Anyone using one of those? Or perhaps you could mount it in a small mixer box, with the laptop on top and sundry other gear (like the audio interface) underneat - that would be more stable.

Note that I am thinking specifically of keyboard setups, not people who play the laptop directly as their instrument, as that would create a different set of requirements.

I am thinking that with the flexibility a laptop gives you, this is the way to go rather than spending a similar sum on a new board or module.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played 3 or 4 gigs with a laptop running B4. Also while auditioning bass players I ran a b4 setup.

I have a gig of ram, and I don't know the rest off the top of my head, I used a usb midi interface and just ran out of the speaker output.

Aside from the noise of not having a dedicated audio interface, it worked great and never failed me, I created a different profile and optimized the settings for that profile and did my music that way.

I highly reccomend asio4all if you don't have asio drivers for your hardware, it got my latency ridiculously low on the factory soundcard.

Archived