Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

H/W Midi Players

69tele

Hi Guys ...

I'd like to replace my current setup for playing midi files (which we use as backing tracks) which something more up to date.

Currently we use a Korg Trinity with a SCSI Zip Drive but although it sounds great it is a;) large to carry b;) slow at loading songs.

ideally i'd like a quality midi tone generator with built in sequencer and some sort of ability to load/save to smart media and load up songs quicko

maybe something like the yamaha qy700 but with smart card.

ideas please !!!

Ernie

p.s I don't want to use a laptop ..!

If in doubt leave it Out !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all you're doing is playing back tracks, and don't do any live playing on the instrument, why not consolidate it down to an MP3 player? Simply record the output of the Trinity, burn the resultant audio as MP3 (or WMA) files, pop them into your iPod or other playback device, and you've reduced your playback rig to 4oz. :thu:

Cheers,

SG

wow the Roland MC-909 looks cool, but seeems to be more oriented for DJ types ?

yeah i'd rather stay midi to be able

a;) avoid the time it takes to record the stuff b:) be able to send control changes to other gear

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/1/6/16472.jpg

Hmmmmm... maybe it's time to sell my Alesis Datadisk SQ? :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Rabid:

As far as that goes, you can even record to CD and get better quality.

Well, given that you can pump MP3's in at 320k, or even go lossless with some devices, the issue of quality is somewhat moot, wouldn't you say? ;)

In fact, were I so inclined, I could show you how recording to CD would, in fact, be a reduction in quality compared to other digital audio formats.

Of course, this whole silly house of cards goes away when we look at the use of this material; cranked through some wheezy old Peavey CS-series power amps and old home-made bins with blown drivers in some ramshackle dive in the back woods of Ohio, for a bunch of drunks that only want to hear Skynyrd or Bob Seger tunes.

Sorry, I'm imprinting a bit here... time to go have a beer, I think. ;):D

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

...time to go have a beer, I think. ;):D

Cheers,

SG

Yup... Sounds like a great idea to me too. :thu:

I think I'll stumble down to the neighborhood pool after work. If I had a Nord Electro2, I'd take it. If I had sheep, I'd invite 'em along. But alas, all I have are the keys to my Porsche and a six-pack of Corona. :rolleyes:

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-14243-292587-6255/Porsche%20911%20Turbo.jpg

Cheers right back atcha! :P

---------------------------

Ummmmm, you believe that story about the Porsche, don'tcha Sven? :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The Yamaha QY series is a great choice. The Roland MC series with a smart card is also a great way to go. I've always been a fan of Roland's sounds. I would personaly go with a laptop with a basic DAW program. You can save an unlimited number of midi files on your hard drive and incorporate great sounding soft synths at the same time.

It's a higher priced than a QY or MC sequencer but it works great.

I favor keyboards with midi file (SMF) playback built-in for the convenience. I use a Yamaha 9000 Pro with a hard drive installed for SMF playback and live playing at the same time. Song loading is instant and easy (you can select the next file for playback while the current file is playing and it starts as soon as the first song is finished). It's no longer made but it does the job extremely well, plus it's an arranger so I can improvise on stage. As far as something more current, the new Yamaha S90 ES features USB so you can use a thumb drive (up to 1 GB storage for under $70) for SMF playback.

Comments on other options listed here:

* The Roland DisCover 5/5m is long gone, replaced by the Roland G70. Since you favor the Korg Trinity you might also look at the Korg PA1X or PA1XPro arrangers, which have dual sequencers for loading SMF's while playing.

* The Alesis Datadisk SQ uses a Sony disk drive that is no longer made, which is why Alesis dropped it. Requires lots of FD swaps to do a gig.

* recording your keyboard to MP3 is a workable idea - I recorded the SMF's from my 9000 Pro to MP3 for use as backing when I play an acoustic piano and it sounds/works excellent, albeit you lose your live midi control that way.

thanks guys I really want to stay from laptops and go for the keyboard or module with SMF and Flash Card Storage.

The roland g70 and yamaha s90 es look cool but pity they don't make then in rack format.

One last thought, since portability is an issue for you: you might consider the Yamaha Tyros arranger. It's a very light 61-note keyboard with great sounds and it can take an internal hard drive for SMF playback. It also has USB connections. Also, a newer model Tyros II with sampling is expected to be forthcoming in October.

thanks for the ideas guys.

checked out all the product specs and i think the Discover 5m would be most suitable for what we need as it

a:) plays SMFs from smartmedia

b:) is self contained

c:) is portable

some sites say its discontinued but my local dealer say the can still order them

Ernie

cranked through some wheezy old Peavey CS-series power amps and old home-made bins with blown drivers in some ramshackle dive in the back woods of Ohio, for a bunch of drunks that only want to hear Skynyrd or Bob Seger tunes.

Cheers,

SG

You know, a lot of those hippie types moved to Canada years ago. Let's see, you're not originally from Canada are you? Hmm

:D

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

[/qb]

Of course, this whole silly house of cards goes away when we look at the use of this material; cranked through some wheezy old Peavey CS-series power amps and old home-made bins with blown drivers in some ramshackle dive in the back woods of Ohio, for a bunch of drunks that only want to hear Skynyrd or Bob Seger tunes.

Sorry, I'm imprinting a bit here... time to go have a beer, I think. ;):D

Cheers,

SG [/QB]

:D Yo Sven, you are hittin awful close to home there brother. Such a shame ,what you said actually has a lot of truth to it. :D

... for a bunch of drunks that only want to hear Skynyrd or Bob Seger tunes. ...

I did not know we played in the same band! :D

Well, the same band about 20 years ago. I still have nightmares of people calling "Freebird. Old Time Rock and Roll. Cocain." :evil:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

cranked through some wheezy old Peavey CS-series power amps and old home-made bins with blown drivers in some ramshackle dive in the back woods of Ohio, for a bunch of drunks that only want to hear Skynyrd or Bob Seger tunes.

Cheers,

SG

You know, a lot of those hippie types moved to Canada years ago. Let's see, you're not originally from Canada are you? Hmm

And we used to think it was to dodge the draft.... they just wanted freedom from "Freebird" :D

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

D'oh! Hehehe... my choice of "Ohio" was purely random, Dave... (as SG glances at Dave's location :o ). No offense intended... we've got plenty of ramshackle places up here in Ontario as well. Just ask gangsu. :thu::D

Cheers,

SG

Recording your midi files is a bad idea, IMO. Mainly because it's cheesy, and one step away from Karaoke. But more importantly, you are stuck with the same mix. Since I play different sounding rooms, a different mixing/EQ-ing if needed for the bass /bass drum (one channel), snare & metals (another channel) and stereo keyboards (two more channels).

I use a basic Compaq laptop running WinAmp to play back my sequences. It works great, and WinAmp will stay minimized when you start a new song, so I never have to do any mouse work. I use the arrow up/down keys on the laptop to select my next song, and hit enter. And I'm juggling well over 300 of my sequences.

Just dedicate the laptop to this one function and resist the urge to use it for other things, reducing the chance of polluting the registry and crashing on you. And maybe consider using Linux for further stabilization.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

thanks... yep i don't want to go down the recording route... but don't want the hassle of laptops either...

any other suggestions on self contained SMF players ?

Right now it seems the

Roland Discover 5m

Roland mc909 (dj type ?)

and

Yamaha qy700

are my options.

Ernie

http://www.rolandus.com/images/products/galleries/472/MT-300S_l.gif

If you don't mind floppy disks (judging by your other choices) then there is the Roland MT-300s pictured above, which I always thought of as a "midi lunchbox". They also make the smaller MT-90s, pictured here:

http://www.rolandus.com/images/products/keyboards_synths/MT-90S_me.gif

For that matter you can still find used a Roland SD-30 on eBay now and then, which is a Sound Canvas module with a floppy drive for SMF playback. Yamaha also makes their MDF-3 SMF player although you'll need a sound module to go with it.

thanks but i really want to stay away from floppies.

whatever i get will need some form of smart media.

using zip disk at he moment on my Trinity but it still means a wait between songs.

If you find something that you are happy with, please post it! I went on the same search, but couldn't find anything suitable, so I went with the laptop.

The nice thing about doing a single act is, I never have to play "Old Time R&R" or "Mony, Mony" ever again. EVER! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/04.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Ernie,

Since that unit is $1200, I thought of a cheaper route. Find a used Alesis QSR module on eBay. It has two SRAM/PCMCIA slots from which you can play SMF. I believe it will recognize 50 or 100 SMF per card, but don't quote me. At around $200, it's a lot cheaper alternative, plus you get the excellent sounds of the QS8.

I won one the other day: $227 w/shipping.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/1/6/16472.jpg

Hmmmmm... maybe it's time to sell my Alesis Datadisk SQ? :)

I packed it up last night. Original box... manual too. It's in great condition as it's been closed up in an Anvil case for some time now.

Where should I go to sell it? Ebay?

Thanks,

Tom

Looks like they go for up to $150.00 on eBay, Tom.

Originally posted by Synthaholic:

Looks like they go for up to $150.00 on eBay, Tom.

WOW. I'll take it. :thu:

I've never sold anything on EBay. But seeing how specialized this device is, I figure that's the only way I can find a buyer.

Thank you Synthaholic.

Tom

Archived