Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on simultaneously sight reading bass & treble clef

Jazz+

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my curiosity Erlic, but would you have recognized that sound as a DX7 if the file wasn't labeled? To me it's a brand new sound. Sheesh. I think it suits the music. It's percussive but not too too twangy. I could make it twangier if you think that would be better!

..wonder when Jazz+ is gonna kick me off this thread...

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Sue:

"Old People" (like me) can recognize sounds from a lot of different synths. Yamaha's DX7 was the first production FX based synth and it has a unique sound quite a bit different that the analogs that were on the market when it came out.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Sue:

"Old People" (like me) can recognize sounds from a lot of different synths. Yamaha's DX7 was the first production FX based synth and it has a unique sound quite a bit different that the analogs that were on the market when it came out.

Mike T.

It's probably one of those sounds you either love or hate, right? To me, being completely untarnished as I am, all electric pianos are more or less equal. I feel like a kid in a candy store. hmmmm, let's see.....

Stay tuned :D

Quote by Sue:

-------------------------

It's probably one of those sounds you either love or hate, right?

Yep, I never really cared for the DX7, although it has grown on me over the years. But flowers grow too, and I like them much better.

more quotes by SUE:

To me, being completely untarnished as I am, all electric pianos are more or less equal. I feel like a kid in a candy store. hmmmm, let's see.....

Sue, you really don't need any other piano than what you already have. When you have a Mercedes, driving a Pinto doesn't quite work. :D I don't know how good the Rhodes sounds are on the Promega, but it sure "does piano" quite well. :thu:

Be careful, you might turn into another gear hogging musician like ther rest of us here. ;)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey Mike, what's that I just read on another thread, that "real world experience beats the H out of mp3's"? Are you saying this is all just useless fun I'm having while I wait for the phone to ring?

Of course I'm not looking outside the promega for other electric pianos. I'm looking inside. I still don't feel the allure of the rhodes, but here's a wurlitzer split that caught my ear.

Be advised against listening while driving or operating heavy machinery. :cool:

Wurlitzer

*Thanks again to Dreamer for hosting these links.

Originally posted by gangsu:

Hey Mike, what's that I just read on another thread, that "real world experience beats the H out of mp3's"? Are you saying this is all just useless fun I'm having while I wait for the phone to ring?

Of course I'm not looking outside the promega for other electric pianos. I'm looking inside. I still don't feel the allure of the rhodes, but here's a wurlitzer split that caught my ear.

Be advised against listening while driving or operating heavy machinery. :cool:

Wurlitzer

*Thanks again to Dreamer for hosting these links.

Hey, Sue, I like your pieces. Are they your compositions?

Originally posted by Floyd Tatum:

Hey, Sue, I like your pieces. Are they your compositions?

Thanks Floyd. No, not mine! Don't ask me to analyze the chords either. ;) These are excerpts from Nikolai Kapustin's 24 Preludes. Some of his music has been recorded by Andre Hamelin. Great stuff. :thu:

Another tip: Enlarge the manuscript, that fine print stuff is murder!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Another tip: Enlarge the manuscript, that fine print stuff is murder!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Thanks, but I wasn't referring to your mini-font sized example, I was referring to scores in general.

:idea: Ah, now I get it! When I read this yesterday, I was trying to figure out what the first tip was. :P

Back to your original topic. Thanks for indulging me. :D

Archived