Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Mac/PC networking musings

ELP71

Perhaps steadyb or another Mac guru can help sort out my current brain freeze regarding DAWs.

If someone had a decently spec-ed PC but wanted the advantages of MAC software and UI, what are the possibilities, advantages/disadvantages in terms of networking, say, a Mac Mini as the 'sequencing/UI' computer to the 'sample library/audio storage' PC? (I say Mac Mini because I have a plan. Its too complicated to get into here, but I will eventually have a PowerMac.)

The deal is that I had the opportunity to buy a new PC desktop for the express purpose of music, and I regret the decision. I am in a financial position to move to Mac via the Mac Mini initially and am wondering if I can stop-gap until I get the finances together to get a PowerMac and either ditch the PC or relegate it to office duty. I will be doing a large variety of projects ranging from orchestral mock-ups to demos to backing tracks.

1. If I have sample libraries - for instance a certain Kontakt-orientated orchestral lib - on the PC and want to trigger/record them with Logic, what RAM resources are used, the MAC's or the PC's? Is this a 'Rewire' thing?

2. If I record audio via Logic, can the audio data be 'ported' to the PC for storage? Even during recording? Or is this a pipe dream.

3. In terms of audio interfaces - which computer does the audio interface have to be plugged into? If I want to record with Logic, is it possible via networking to utlize inputs on the PC? Or vice versa? Or does the interface have to be plugged into the machine doing the recording (that sounds silly even asking it).

4. Should I even worry about this and give up my lust for MACs?

Ok thats it. And I'm not looking for a MAC/PC debate or "just sell the PC and buy a MAC". I can figure that out on my own. I'm curious why people have both in their studios and how they integrate them and if this can be of use to me in the sort-term.

THANKS

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Networking is pretty easy on a Mac, especially since Panther.

I don't know about how easy or difficult it is with a PC. My only time trying it I was able to get to the "shared" folder on the PC pretty easily, but that probably much less access than you're looking to have in this situation.

But from the Mac side, in 8 days or so you'll be able to get a Mac Mini with Tiger 10.4 on it, and then it could be even easier.

Maybe someone experienced in networking PCs will chime in here too.

This is from the Apple site...

Mac OS X can talk to the most popular file server protocols on every major server platform in the market today including AFP, SMB/CIFS, WebDAV and NFS file services running on Mac OS X Server, AppleShare, UNIX, Linux, Novell NetWare and Windows NT, 2000 and XP servers. Tiger also offers Bonjour, a standards-based networking technology that automatically connects electronic devices on a network.

Zero Configuration, Zero Hassles, Anywhere

Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005. The Bonjour Setup Wizard makes setting up a printer under Windows as easy as Mac OS X. Bonjour for Windows includes a plug-in for Internet Explorer, so you can setup a Bonjour-enabled device without knowing its IP address.

In the instances where a Mac and PC need to be networked in the way you described, there is a very simple way to facilitate the set up.

1) You treat your PC like a hardware sampler.

PC MIDI interface's in connected to a Mac MIDI interface's out. Audio outs from the PC into your mixer so it can be routed like any other sound source to the Mac audio interface. If the PC is optimized for music, you should have no more latency than a typical synthesizer. So basically, you run Kontakt standalone on the PC, and it becomes a hardware sampler.

No additional RAM is used on the Mac, because you will merely be recording audio to it.

2. You can transfer audio from the Mac to PC via standard FTP-style protocols. In realtime while you are recording, though? Why would you want to do that? Is the bigger hard drive on the PC? If so, just pull it out of there and get a firewire enclosure for it. Bi-directional transfer of audio whilerecording and the like, even if possible, would really be pushing it.

3. Again, you're asking for headaches if you do not have the audio interface hooked up to the computer you are working on. Yes yes, you can do the Cubase SX networking thing, and there are a few shareware things that attempt to do it. But the simple answer is no, you cannot utilize an audio interface that is attached to a networked PC when working in Logic.

4. I am the last person that should be commenting on buying extraneous gear, but I think you should really ask yourself why you need a Mac. Once you open your software to actually do some work, the OS should melt away from your consciousness (which is a whole other can of worms). But don't buy into any hype in either direction. You say you already have a killer PC for music. What software are you running on it, and why is it not doing what you need. Don't get me wrong, I am a Logic and Digital Performer use, although I have the very multiple box setup that you are planning, so I am not anti-anything. But you may want to exhaust your options on your premium PC before looking at a non-internally expandable, previous generation CPU, barebones box to run a $1000 piece of software.

I think Logic is an incredibly powerful piece of software, as are almost all of the DAWs, Mac or PC, made today. But the OS? The only things that I am concerned about in an operating system (in terms of musical applications) are:

Can I run the software I want to run on it?

Will it get in my way?

WHEN something goes wrong, how easily can I fix it?

I hope this helps.

Oh, and could you decribe your setup? Many of your PC peripherals...sound card, HD, some RAM, MIDI interface, may be able to be cannibalized for a different Mac, saving you money and enabling you to get one a bit more suited for heavy audio use.

"For instance" is not proof.

Thanks, folks. A few more details.

The PC in question:

3.0 Ghz P4

1GB SDRAM

80GB SATA HD

200GB SATA HD (not yet installed)

FW 400, USB 2.0 out the wazoo

Windows XP Home

17in Flat-Panel display

128MB video card

I have a Yamaha S90, PC2R w/orchestral expansion, and a bunch of other gear not necessary to mention. I'm looking at adding an orchestral library, sequencing program, and firewire audio interface and HD with this package.

This PC system is brand new and I have no 'problems' with it other than I know MAC is an inevitability. It is one of four PCs in the house. The plan is to move the studio to MAC. I would use the Mac Mini for sequencing/etc. until funds are acquired for the PowerMac, at which time the Mini would be relegated to internet gateway/kid duty (we run wireless throughout the house). I would then either sell the PC or use both.

I guess I'm trying to see if I can find any use for the PC now should I decide to go this route. I'm comfortable with it being the muscle until the PowerMac is added to the setup if that is something that makes any sense or is going to lend any help to the underpowered Mini. I don't see the Mac Mini as a long-term solution.

The 'problem' is that I have two large projects that I need to get started like, yesterday (which incidentally will pay for the gear). I have been using a Yamaha 16-track digital for everything (before that a Fostex VF16)...and really don;t want to deal with the hassle of those endless menus and negligible editing capabilities any longer.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Archived