Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New gig - new gear - please help me spend money.

ELP71

I respect everyones opinion here and although this is a somewhat tired topic Id like some guidance on a big purchase Im lucky enough to be able to embark upon.

Looks like I will be getting some steady, well-paying work doing orchestral accompaniment tracks for a couple different theatres. This is something I have done in the past playing in live track by track into outboard multitrack units (Fostex VF16, Yamaha thing, etc). For reasons of speed and usability, I want to move into the computer DAW/sequencing world instead of the method Ive used in the past. I also write/record/perform my own stuff as well as other service tasks (jingles, radio, backing tracks) so some versatility is needed/appreciated. I'm looking at this work as the way to facilitate the much-needed and long awaited foray into computer-based DAW, softsynths, etc.

Thus begs the age-old question: MAC or PC??? I have no gear that even approaches what Id like to be able to do at least I dont think so. Here's what I have:

Dell 600m Laptop

14in 1.3Ghz Centrino, 512MB Ram, 30GB 4200 HD

Yamaha S90

PC2R w/orchestral expansion

Ton of old syths

Finale 2003 (PC)

Cool Edit 2.0

No audio or MIDI interfaces (save a USB from the S90).

No studio monitors to speak of.

My gravitations:

G5 Imac w/Logic Express (and GarageBand which seems like a good solution for a lot of small quick projects I find myself handed)

OR

Dell 8400 using Sonar 4 Studio edition (w/19inch flat panel)

With either solution I will also go with EastWest Symphonic Silver (I like the upgrade path) as a starter orchestral library, Finale for notation (I also arrange for real ensembles), studio monitors as well as the requisite I/O solution(s). I would also have the appropriate additional/external hard drives/storage for either system. I forsee additional sample libraries added as my experience/gigs develop.

I'd like to spend $2500.

Thoughts, direction (even if in the form of links) appreciated!

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm new to this gig on the computers, but it seems to me like if you are used to a PC you might want to stick with that. In the computer world it is pretty much accepted that Mac makes better equipment, but unlike PC you will end up very limited in upgrade options. If you feel like dealing with a little bit of a learning curve on a Mac, those things are sweet...

losers go home and cry.

winners go home and nail the prom queen.

best band in the world

Archived