Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Loop-Based software for elementary general music

Dugg64

Hello All:

I'm in the process of formulating a proposal for my masters' project. As an elementary music teacher, I'd like to evaluate the use of Loop-Based software as a means to enhance my students' learning.

What I'd like to know is what do any of you recommend as a user friendly Loop-Based application appropriate for third grade (ages 9-10).

For now, let's assume we could go either way in terms of platform (Mac or PC).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dugg64

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My six year old can't use all the features of Acid. But he can understand the concept of stretching tracks out, and which tracks contain which information. Effects busses and envelopes are beyond him.

His 4 year birthday invitation was a CD. We recorded his voice over a Rescue Heroes soundbed. Added some explosions, loops, etc. He loved the process though back then, he was mostly watching me assemble it. Now he can do some of it.

It depends on their basic PC skills, but I imagine the 3rd graders will have a blast. Good for you. :thu:

Jerry

They'll be able to run it with no problem. Some of them will be very good and I would imagine that a few would already know how to import it into imovie. I've always made sure that my kids had their own computers since they were maybe 5. By third grade, my son was running DP and writing his material. It's amazing what a child can do if only you encourage and support. It's gotta be tough doing a music ed gig. Back in the 70's when I was still in high school, we actually had a music theory class and used the walter piston harmony book.That would be hard to find in a public school. Now a lot of the programs are gone. Dugg64, you are doing a very cool thing for these kids. I had the same music teacher from grade 5 -12. He played french horn in the local symphony. I learned a lot from Mr. Thier.

I am also and elementary general music teacher. I'd say look into garage band on the mac and acid on the PC. I use acid and I think it would work well with third graders. Here is some info:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=928

Here is a free (demo) version:

http://download.acidplanet.com/acidxpress.exe

Every week acidplant.com gives away a free pack of loops and an acid song:

http://www.acidplanet.com/tools/8Packs/?T=3102

David

Originally posted by Linwood:

Garage Band

Seconded. Since GB is free with any new Mac, it won't cost you anything if you buy new computers (it's only $79 per computer otherwise) and Apple Loops are extremely easy to use. My 7 year-old loves "composing" songs with the loops and midi instruments in Garageband. Version 2 actually will print out midi in Score notation, so you could even combine it with some actual music instruction.

Best of luck to you! :thu:

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived