Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help with Yamaha S80 + PLG150-PF

Roland Genske

Hello friends, I would be very glad if somebody who is familiar with the Yamaha PLG150-PF plug-in card would have a listen to the following mp3 (215 Kilobytes):

http://soulianis.com/stuff/plg150-pf-sweetness.mp3

This is the factory preset patch named "sweetness", on my S80 this is PLG1:034(C02).

After having mounted the plug-in card, I dumped the 01PlgVc1.mid file contained on the PLG150-PF floppy disk to the S80 and verified afterwards that the dump was successful (following the "YAMAHA PLG150-PF Power User" instruction sheet").

Do you notice that strange hi-frequency sound on each note release? (Sorry for my english, I hope you understand what I mean.) I have that on many of the PLG150-PF patches. First I thought it is caused by overloading my a/d convertors, but this is not the case. I tried different headphones directly attached to the S80 (AKG K280, Yamaha HPE-170), doesn't make any difference.

The above mp3 was recorded with "effect bypass" enabled on the S80 at around -10dB a/d input level, converted to mp3 at 192 kBit/s.

All other patches (preset, internal, external) are perfect. I also have a PLG150-AN card plugged-in, all is fine with this one, too.

Now I seriously wonder if my PLG150-PF is defective or what else is going on here. Does that "sweetness" patch sound differently on your PLG150-PF?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not you, I hear it too. There have been complaints in the past about release noise on some of the expansion boards. I think you're not noticing it on the AN because it's not sample based. I never noticed it until now and I probably wouldn't have heard it if I hadn't had it turned way up with my ear by the tweeter.

What? What are saying honey? For some reason I can't hear you . . .

Thanks again, cg. I recently upgraded my equipment, now using much better a/d convertors than before. This is where I started to hear that. Then I verified with headphones directly attached to the S80 - which I apparently never did before...

Now I wonder what to do. I think I'll try to tweak the patches, maybe this helps. Otherwise, I don't think that I'll use the PLG150-PF patches anymore, at least not in recordings...

• 2 weeks later...
FYI: It is not the phaser. I edited some of the offending patches, removing any effects, putting all EQs to neutral - to no avial. I cannot get rid of the sort-of ringing sound on note release, it seems obvious to me that it's contained in the samples. :confused:

• 1 year later...

I have had my S80 for a few years along with the Vocal Harmony card in slot 1 and the 1st piano card (150) in slot 2.

I never had that ringing release sound until I recently loaned my S80 out to be backlined for Bruce Hornsby. As I always do with loaning out my gear, I removed my Smart Media card with all my custom patches and removed the 2 expansion cards.

I've done this a half dozen times and this last time is the first time I noticed the ringing.

I'm pissed now because one of the fusion groups I play with performs Weather Reports "A Remark You Made" which I naturally use the "Remark" patch that has that amazing over-phase shifted Rhodes sound that really makes that song.

What the hell?!?!?!?

If anyone ever finds a solution to this or an idea of what to try to fix this, please reply to this thread or drop me a line at paul@paulrobertsmusic.com

Thanks!!!

I have had my S80 for a few years along with the Vocal Harmony card in slot 1 and the 1st piano card (150) in slot 2.

I never had that ringing release sound until I recently loaned my S80 out to be backlined for Bruce Hornsby. As I always do with loaning out my gear, I removed my Smart Media card with all my custom patches and removed the 2 expansion cards.

I've done this a half dozen times and this last time is the first time I noticed the ringing.

I'm pissed now because one of the fusion groups I play with performs Weather Reports "A Remark You Made" which I naturally use the "Remark" patch that has that amazing over-phase shifted Rhodes sound that really makes that song.

What the hell?!?!?!?

If anyone ever finds a solution to this or an idea of what to try to fix this, please reply to this thread or drop me a line at paul@paulrobertsmusic.com

Thanks!!!

Archived