Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB Audio/Midi

After looking at the M-Audio Ozone I started looking at all the different Audio/Midi USB solutions out there. The reason I like that product is because it includes all your in and outs and monitoring. Another interesting product that just came out is the [url=http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA20/]Edirol UA-20[/url] . I like this because it has Audio and Midi and also heaphone monitoring. Any of you guys using any USB audio or midi stuff, including the consumer stuff like M-Audio Sonica or AudioTrak Maya USB? I'm just curious what your real world results are with these products. I'm aware that the tranfer rate of USB is slow compared to firewire but ease of implementation and the price on USB audio products is very attractive.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I exchanged an MBox for the M-Audio Duo. It works well except it allows no direct monitoring during audio playback. I also added the M-Audio Keystation 49 to my laptop rig. That works well also. If I had known about the new product I probably would have waited. :( Lawrence

Wewus, I was looking at the UA-20 seriously back in September when I first acquired Sonar (and Sonar won't support the Digi001 card in my PC but which is supposed to change in the future) when Sweetwater had them in their New Gear Catalog (oops, I mean "Directory") but, of course, they weren't expecting to receive any until October. I am impatient and bought the Aardvark DP 24/96 which I have not been thrilled about, mainly because of the way it conflicts with the SoundBlaster card that came in the PC when I bought it and which I leave in for non-critical audio applications. So actually, I don't want to hear that the UA-20 is a fantastic piece of equipment cuz I'll be kicking myself for all the hoops I've had to jump through just to get things working reasonably well. I've had to build multiple hardware profiles to accomodate Sonar and to get the Digi001 and the DP 24/96 to both function on my PC. Funny thing is, put Sonar on my machine and it can distinguish between the Digi and SB cards, of course, it cannot utilize the Digi but it sees it. Put the DP 24/96 card in and Sonar sees nothing but the SB card! Disable Digi and SB in a profile and Sonar can use the 24/96. What a trip! If the UA-20 provides a decent Midi/Audio IO without all the hassels I've had, it'll be a pretty nice interface due to it's USB connectivity. Of course, like Lawrence mentions, the monitoring thing would need to be there cuz I do have that with mys setup the way if is now.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Don't get the UA-20!! I bought it and installed the drivers and Sonar promptly would not recognize the midi aspect of the unit. No matter what I tried, it would not see it. I returned it immediatly!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Archived