Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 2

Nu2Keys

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acoustic or Electric piano?

The EP's are great, so if you want Hammond and EP, the Electro is fabulous.

If you need acoustic piano, you'll have to listen to it and decide for yourself. Most people don't like the Electro's acoustic piano very much, myself included. But there are some people who think it's fine.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Thanks for the link to the previous post. And now, to get a bit more specific about my situation, I have played an Electro at Guitar Center and I really liked the Hammond, Rhodes, and Wurlitzer sounds, but not the grand piano, much like everyone else. But on the Nord website there are some downloadable grand piano sounds that seem quite good. Am I wrong in thinking these sounds would be better than what is already preset on the keyboard?

I've found that none of the grands on their site are good for solo piano. However, the CP80 electric grand is a very good sample of the original Yamaha stage piano, and I use it quite a bit in a band setting for punchy solos - it really cuts. If you are looking for a more realistic and expressive piano sound, it's not here yet.

However, in a previous topic there was a post from someone from Clavia saying there will be some new piano sounds and an upgraded OS due this spring. We're hoping it's adding reverb to the system, and a better grand sample.

I'll dig around the forum and find you the link.

BTW I have MIDI'd a Kurzweil ME-1 module to the Electro and it is a good solution in a pinch.

For the other sounds, and portability, you simply can't beat the Electro, IMHO.

Here for the gear.

Originally posted by Nu2Keys:

Thanks for the link to the previous post. And now, to get a bit more specific about my situation, I have played an Electro at Guitar Center and I really liked the Hammond, Rhodes, and Wurlitzer sounds, but not the grand piano, much like everyone else. But on the Nord website there are some downloadable grand piano sounds that seem quite good. Am I wrong in thinking these sounds would be better than what is already preset on the keyboard?

To answer your question about the other piano sounds, YES, some of the downloadable sounds are better and different than the stock Electro piano. It really comes down to your individual taste. For more details, here is the content that I had posted in one of the other links (referenced above) that analyzes all of the piano sounds that are currently available for the Electro:

---------------------

AcGrand1:

This is the mono Steinway sample and dates back to the original Electro release in late 2001 or early 2002. It is just fair. Very little sustain and very boxy sounding. Reminds me a little bit of the original ESQ1 8-bit piano sound, minus the sustain.

AcGrand2:

This was a new stereo sample released with the Electro 2. It sounds good in stereo through headphones, but unusable in mono on the gig. Like the first sound, it has barely any sustain. It has a little more body to it, but still underwhelmed me.

AcGrand4:

Although labeled #4, this was actually the THIRD acoustic piano released for the Electro. I think the numbering scheme went amiss because of technical difficulties that delayed the #3 piano. This piano is actually fun, but has limited uses. It is like playing an antique piano with a blanket over top of it. It seems a tad out of tune and very much like listening to an old Albert Ammons boogie woogie LP. It is ok for getting that nostalgic, intimate, solo living room sound (Let It Be sounds ok with this sound), but has no bite and will not cut through in a mix.

AcGrand3:

This is the newest Electro piano sound and the best of the lot. It is a stereo sound and really suffers in mono. In stereo, it has a nice left/right spread and is tolerable. It does not have a wide range of dynamics (nor do any of the Electro acoustic pianos), but it will do for a loud band. It will cut through the mix, but in mono, the middle 2 octaves suffer horribly from a phasing problem and sound very thin. The only way to band aid this problem when you are in mono is to add a touch of overdrive and jack the EQ settings.

---------------------

I stand by my assessment above that was made over a year ago. I currently have the mono Steinway sample loaded in my Electro, as it sounds the best to me in mono for practice purposes. For gigs, I do not use the Electro piano sounds. They are fine for practice and small gigs, but I prefer the S90 piano sounds over the Electro.

Regards,

Eric

Nu2, you're welcome. Keep asking questions if you find more territory that is uncertain to you. Let me suggest a couple of more resources. Check out these interesting and different recordings of the Nord Electro piano sound. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised:

Harmony Central - Roald on Electro Piano

Yahoo Nord Electro Group - Kevin Anker on Electro Piano

Regards,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

check the Roland V-combo out (aka VR-760) The hammond sounds are unbelievable and you even get the drawbars. The EP sounds beat the nord by a mile. On acoustic grands they are about the same, nord beating the roland regarding the clavinet.

Besides the clavinet, the roland is if not better at least the same. So I recommend you to check it out before you buy the nord

www.thomas.bryla.dk --- Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz G4, Logic Pro 7.1, Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ FW card, Yamaha P-250, WX7, Roland V-Combo, V-Synth, AX7, Korg M1-Bryla

Another vote for the V-Combo here, but I'd go further. Everything on the V-Combo is better - acc. pianos, EPs, Organ (even better than VK-8) and synths. Not to mention build quality, effects, master EQ, XLR outs, expandability, action, drum machine (simple but useable)and Roland reliability. Also, there's a lot to be said for real wood and metal (although I may just be showing my age there!)

Nord Electro 3

Roland JV-90

Originally posted by 5thElement:

Also, there's a lot to be said for real wood and metal (although I may just be showing my age there!)

The Electro is also real wood and metal...no cheap plastic parts there!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by bryla:

check the Roland V-combo out (aka VR-760) The hammond sounds are unbelievable and you even get the drawbars. The EP sounds beat the nord by a mile. On acoustic grands they are about the same, nord beating the roland regarding the clavinet.

Besides the clavinet, the roland is if not better at least the same. So I recommend you to check it out before you buy the nord

This just shows how YMMV. I personally think the Nord sounds run rings around the V-Combo ... but, to each his own. That's why it's important for each user to compare these side by side if possible.

Also, I'm gonna bring up Eric's saga for those of you new enough to this board to have not been there as the drama unfolded ... he had a Nord Electro, sold it and bought a V-Combo, but it didn't scratch that itch quite like the Electro, so he sold the V-Combo and is back using the Nord! Eric can vouch for this. ;)

And he's a pretty steadily working gigging musician, so if you have any specific questions about his choices, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you why he made his choices (I hope you don't mind my volunteering you, Eric) :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Another vote for the V-Combo here, but I'd go further. Everything on the V-Combo is better - acc. pianos, EPs, Organ (even better than VK-8) and synths. Not to mention build quality, effects, master EQ, XLR outs, expandability, action, drum machine (simple but useable)and Roland reliability. Also, there's a lot to be said for real wood and metal (although I may just be showing my age there!)

I own nord electro, but I played v-combo few times and would only like to say something about effects. Electro's effects are much better, there are more of them, but on v-combo you can use overdrive and leslie simulator only with organ sounds (wah-wah is also very bad on v-combo).

Nu2keys check them out for yourself. There's no need for us to defend each machine and hack the other down to pieces. You do the job and find out which suits you!
www.thomas.bryla.dk --- Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz G4, Logic Pro 7.1, Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ FW card, Yamaha P-250, WX7, Roland V-Combo, V-Synth, AX7, Korg M1-Bryla

I am six months into my first ever gig as a keyboardist. I have always played guitar in bands but almost always had a piano or some kind of keyboard around so playing keyboards wasn't totally new to me. When I got this gig (it's a blues band) I had an older Korg CX3 which is what I have been using. I'm pretty happy with the sound but would like to expand and have piano sounds on some things. Like I said earlier I tried the Nord but I also tried a Roland VK-8, which seemed to have problems in the store. Another option would be to keep using the Korg for organ and get a second keyboard for just piano sounds. Any thoughts?

Keeping the Korg is an option, though you probably want to step up the Leslie simulation by adding a Motion Sound Pro3T or something like this. You could do this and add a used Roland XP30 for less than the cost of a Nord Electro.

Regards,

Eric

Archived