Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suzuki SS-88

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sven Golly:

A Google search shows that the Piano & Keyboard Centre in Richmond Hill carries Suzuki digital pianos.

Cheers,

SG

If I have a chance, I'll drop by there and check it out myself, and report my findings. Only problem is, Richmond Hill is a way accross town, and I'm not likely to make the trip up there just for that - heck, I find it difficult these days to make the time even to go to music stores that are reasonably close by.

Well, you could call them, and see if there's a retailer closer to you... I'd think that hearing it first-hand would be of greater value than a dozen posts here. YMMV. ;)

True, true. However, if everyone here were to follow your advice, then conversation on KC would pretty much cease, don't you think? :D

At this point I'm just 'mildly interested', not 'interested enough to make my best effort to get out and actually try one'.

Originally posted by Floyd Tatum:

True, true. However, if everyone here were to follow your advice, then conversation on KC would pretty much cease, don't you think? :D

Not at all... I just feel that talking about how something sounds is akin to "dancing about architecture" as someone here put it (sorry, don't remember who).

I'm not suggesting you don't ask other's opinions... I was merely pointing out that you could easily answer your own question by playing the instrument yourself. Given that Suzuki isn't exactly a huge name in the digital piano arena, at least to my experience, I thought you might not know where you could find one to demo.

While we're on the subject, though, I have yet to see a post on any forum that adequately describes an instrument such that I'm unsurprised when I play that instrument myself for the first time. What one person considers bright, another considers harsh. What one considers mellow, another considers dull. Heck, even MP3 demos don't do an instrument justice in the majority of cases!

At this point I'm just 'mildly interested', not 'interested enough to make my best effort to get out and actually try one'.

Alright, then... on to other threads for me. Oh, and you're welcome. :thu:

Cheers,

SG

Oh, and you're welcome. :thu:

Cheers,

SG

I'm sorry if I forgot to thank you for the link - thanks! I forgot to mention earlier that I had actually already found that link myself while doing a web search, so I just skipped ahead to explaining my reasons for not going out there to try it myself.

I agree with you, I find that when I try an instrument out for myself, my opinion is different from the ones I've read online, 99% of the time. Often, I seem to be concerned about different aspects of the instrument from most people. Velocity-switching implementation for instance is a big deal for me. For many years, Keyboard Reports didn't even mention velocity-switching as something to be aware of. And I remember reading many reviews of really poor velocity-switched rhodes samples where the reviewer would say things like "you hear a satisfying whack sound when you hit it hard, like a real Rhodes". Just as an example.

However, I still enjoy to read others impressions. I find there's still some useful info I can pick up that way.

Sorry if my last message came across as harsh... wasn't intended that way. Part of the risk posting from work, when the many distractions of the (I.T.) job get on your nerves. :( No worries about the thanks... you're welcome. :D:thu:

I think I misinterpreted your first message, and thought you were considering buying the Suzuki over the P120, which is why I suggested you audition it in person.

I agree that getting other impressions is a useful resource... the challenge is always in the weight one gives to another's opinion... especially when that other person is a virtual stranger. ;) Heck, my opinion probably shouldn't count... I hate the piano on the FantomXR! ;)

Anyway, apologies all 'round, and onwards we go! :D:thu:

Cheers,

SG

Archived