Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90 with Dual PLG-AN cards is a good VA solution

eric

Hey folks,

I struggle constantly with the need for a 3rd keyboard in my rig to cover VA duties. I really hate to carry a 3rd keyboard. Not long ago, I upgraded my S90 with 2 PLG-AN cards, which gives me 10 voices of AN modeling. Previously, I had one and the 5 voice ceiling was a barrier for me. With 2 boards in there, I am a very happy camper. There are not many sounds I am lacking with this configuration.

I highly recommend it!

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric:

What's more, you don't have to worry about losing a knob that broke off a freakin plastic shaft on your lead synth. You can probably rest a lot easier. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Right on, Mike. That was a real hassle. I find that my gigging peace of mind is a lot easier to find when I have 2 keyboards vs. 3. I have really been leveraging Master mode on the S90 to set up all my sounds. I have all these complex Performances with layers, splits, velocity cross-overs...combined with patch changes that tell my Electro what to do. It is such a breath of fresh air to hit one button on the S90 and have everything fall into place in my rig. Rather than trying to scramble and find all my sounds individually on each board, I just let the S90 handle all of that through the Master setup. It is quite intuitive and saves me a lot of headaches on the gig!

The only missing link for me now is to have a duplicate S90 keyboard that is smaller and lighter. I suspect that this could be solved by a possible S76ES, if Yamaha releases it...or I may get a Motif 6 or ES6. Then I would have the same type of Master setup in a smaller keyboard.

Regards,

Eric

Eric:

The more gear you bring, the bigger the headache. When I was on the road, initially I brought a lot of gear, after a few months common sense began to rule. Your stage setup sounds a bit more complicated than my setup, being that you're using the S90 as a master KB. I always taken the approach that individual instruments are set up separately from each other. I put the common split and layer patches in one area so its easy to find on the fly. I use a sequencer so that makes what I play live less complicated. I play the main piano/organ or other KB part in a song while I sing lead. I reach over an play parts on the ION while a song is going on, or play a piano part on my MOTIF ES while playing the ION at the same time, and the sequencer playing the song. I've gotten use to doing things that way and its not at all complicated.

Playing in a band and carrying everything live demands more coordination. I use to do that in the old days. I bet you spend a lot of time behind the scenes doing the setup for a live show. It sounds like you have most everything covered now.

We'll know if our friends at Yamaha are bringing out a new S90 version by Thursday. :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived