Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question on simultanious USB connections of devices

Faruk

Hello,

Maybe this would be dumm question, but i was considering adding control surface for VSTi (curently considering Edirol UC33 and Behringer BCR2000) to my laptop setup. At this moment, my laptop is connected to external Novation Speed IO via USB and keyboard controler is connected to the mentioned sound card via MIDI.

If I add another USB device will it work together :confused: ? Sorry again if this question is dumm, but I've never tried something similar with audio devices.

Second question is which controle surface for VSTi and Reason you recommend?

Faruk

Fat But Fast

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can have multiple USB connections and they will work together. The problem is with mixing heavy traffic like USB audio with timing critical traffic like MIDI sequences. The MIDI spec does not take timing into account and the heavy traffic can make the MIDI timing sloppy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by dabowsa:

USB 2.0 is quite a bit faster, so maybe there are some devices that use that spec?

Also, you could get a USB 2.0 hub which might help route things quickly...or maybe it would slow it down?

Well as much as I know, USB hub is nothing more but a cluster of USB plugs, it should not slow your computer down.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

USB hubs are active devices. The ports are not simply wired together. There is USB host port silicon behind every port. However, the bandwidth is shared - you don't get anything for nothing!

:DTR

Thank Dave, I did not know that! Now I know why i buy my laptops with as amuch allready built in connectors as possible :D

Dave, I hope that is not the case for the USB plugs allready mentioned (that come built into the laptop or desktop computer), I mean they all have full bandwidth when used together :confused: ?

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by Faruk:

Hello,

Maybe this would be dumm question, but i was considering adding control surface for VSTi (curently considering Edirol UC33 and Behringer BCR2000) to my laptop setup. At this moment, my laptop is connected to external Novation Speed IO via USB and keyboard controler is connected to the mentioned sound card via MIDI.

If I add another USB device will it work together :confused: ? Sorry again if this question is dumm, but I've never tried something similar with audio devices.

Second question is which controle surface for VSTi and Reason you recommend?

Faruk

Do you have two USB ports on your laptop? If so put the speed I/O on one and everything else on the other so audio has a dedicated port. Get a hub too - some devices draw power from the hub and in some cases hubs give better quality power than a computer.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Originally posted by Faruk:

Faruk

Do you have two USB ports on your laptop? If so put the speed I/O on one and everything else on the other so audio has a dedicated port. Get a hub too - some devices draw power from the hub and in some cases hubs give better quality power than a computer.
Thank you. I have 4 USB ports on my laptop. Well, now I know they will work fine along each other within the same application. Now all that is left for me is to find one suitable for controling VSTi, I mean it will not be used to control DAW only software instruments. I plan to do some giging with laptop setup and now I definitly need something which is more "hands on".

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Archived