Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Will my Roland DP 8 pedal not work right with my extreme?

theplayer

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the plugs on the cable of the two pedals, you'll see that they are different. Already you know you must use the Korg.

The Roland pedal uses a two conductor plug, so it may use two different switches to activate two different controllers.

The Korg pedal has only a single conductor plug, so it likely sends controller values of 0, 64, and 127 (or something similar).

You must use the Korg soft damper pedal with the Korg.

Just to add (and to possibly clarify) what Prague wrote - the connecter plug for a 'half damper' pedal will have three distinct sections ... it will look like a stereo plug. A conventional on\off type pedal (not a half damper) will only have a plug with two sections ... it will look like a mono plug.

I would guess (polarity not being an issue) that any half damper pedal would work.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by theplayer:

Dave, it sounds like you are saying the Roland should work right and prague you are saying it should not. I am confused.

A half damper pedal will use two conductors to transmit information which means there will be actually a three wire plug - and will look like a regular stereo plug. As long as the polarity is the same, the same _type_ of pedal will work. If the polarity of one pedal is different than the other, you have other choices to make, rewire the pedal or buy a pedal that will work with your keyboard. If the polarity is different, off will be on and on will be off, correct?

For starters, look at the plug that goes in the half damper pedal jack - is the plug in three sections or two sections. (A plug in three sections has two conductors of information and a ground while a plug with two sections has one conductor of information and a ground.)

If I am in error, I am sure someone will correct me.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Originally posted by theplayer:

[qb]

If I am in error, I am sure someone will correct me.

Not sure. The original poster claims to have configured it. Assuming he is correct, then the port is capable of taking a half-damper pedal (I don't know this independantly of what the poster has posted or even if his board supports half-damping).

If so, then the problem is the way the connector is wired. I vaguely remember Korgs being compatible with Yamaha expression pedals, in which case Roland pedals are not compatible with Korg boards. Not sure I am remembering this right - pretty sure its compatible with one or the other.

I posted a detailed description of the differences some weeks ago. Its possible to wire up a cross-over cable. Someone was selling these on the net but now that I could use one myself I have never managed to find them again.

Here's the link to that:

Comparison of Yamaha and Roland expression pedal pinouts

Hello guys,

I have to switch the polarity from the - korg standard to the +. When configuring the half damper the pedal level rises quickly as soon as the peddle is pushed and then slowly increases to full damp. It is like it is applying to much damp to early.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

...A half damper pedal will use two conductors

Wrong. LOOK at the connectors on the Korg DS1H pedal. It is a single conductor. The photo is directly from Korg.

http://korg.com/gear/images/products/info/info_DS1H.jpg

You must use a Korg half-damper pedal with the Triton extreme, unless someone else makes an equivalent.

If you read my original post, it needs no "clarification".

Prague, you might be correct ... the photo could also be in error.

At any rate, the half damping pedal on my P250 uses two conductors (a three sectioned plug).

FWIW, I can specify the depth of sustain on my half pedal. I wouldn't be surprised if that were a function of having two conductors ... or not.

I took a look at a Korg site and it does seem that their one conductor pedal has a half pedal function on those Korg keyboards that are configured for their use. That surprised me ... I trust I am not alone(?). Sorry for my unnecessary (though good intentioned) posts.

No problem, Dave. I am always hesitant to answer seemingly obvious questions. This is in the Triton Extreme manual:

Damper pedal connections

This pedal applies a piano style damper effect as you play.

Connect an optional footswitch to the DAMPER jack of the TRITON Extreme.

If a Korg DS-1H is connected, halfdamper

effects can be produced.

The polarity of the pedal is set in Global P2: Controller Damper Polarity and the sensitivity is set in Global P0 Half Damper Calibration.

I just used a Search for "damper" in the PDF version of the online owner's manual.

It seems Korg decided to go the proprietary route for it's half-damper pedal function.

Archived