Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on Yamaha PLG Card

Yamis

I just bought a Yamaha PLG150-AP card for my S80. The other slot on the S80 is empty. Of the other PLG cards, what are most people using? I expect to get some gift certificates for Christmas so I'm thinking of buying one of the other PLG Cards. Right now I'm leaning toward the DX7 card. Any advice would be helpful.
Yamis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLG-AN is great.

I have an S90 with PLG-AP and PLG-AN x 2.

I am very pleased with the AN card. It is only 5 voices per card. The sounds created by DCP on the Regenerator library are top notch. I recently added a 2nd AN board so I have 10 voice AN polyphony.

Regards,

Eric

... what he said.

I also have two of AN cards for 10 notes poly. Allows me to leave the rack home when I gig, though I'm DYING to hear the MKS-80 layered with the Microwave through a really good FOH system.

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

I use the PLG150-DX a good bit along with a PF card in my stage keyboard, a 9000 Pro. It's a DX-7 emulation and if you don't mind the dated sounds then it's exactly what you expect. At least it has 16-notes of polyphony. I have the AN my Motif ES and it sounds good for a VA also. None of the PLG cards are overwhelming but if can't stand an empty slot then either the DX or AN will work depending on your preference.

Hey Yamis -

How is the AP card sounding in the S-80? I record SMF's & download them into my S-80 to play piano with them. I bought the PF card about a year ago because with some of the SMF's, I'd exceed the number of voices when I accompany them. The PF card sounds ok with it. There's this tapping or something that I hear around C4 and above about half an octave. No one else notices it, but it kind of drives me a bit buggy. But it cuts through the mix, which is what I need it to do.

Yamaha says this piano set is "softer" which makes me wonder if it would be able to cut through the mix. What are your thoughts on its sound?

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Here's my take on the AP card that I use in my S90. I would think that it should be the same in an S80, but not totally sure.

I have been using it now for about almost 2 months and have played about a 10 gigs with it in my S90. In spite of the tambourine artifact that can be detected in a quiet setting through headphones, I absolutely love this piano sound. It is much better than the triple strike S700 and I use it almost exclusively. I still have some performances in which I had the old S700 sound embedded and have not had time to reprogram everything to insert the PLG-AP sound wherever I had been using the S700. But when it comes to straight up piano, I go directly to that sound. I have found that the CF3 Brite preset works very well for my funk band. One slider adds chorus and the other adds reverb. This is handy for tweaking on the fly and I really, really dig the expressiveness and clarity of this sound!

Regards,

Eric

Archived