Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Smith "The Sermon"

Jazz+

Such soulful phrasing and that "sound" he got on "The Sermon" is warm, dirty, fat and smooth all at the same time. Is it partly the way it was recorded?

"The Sermon" by Jimmy Smith

Audio clip at:

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1905777

"The 20-minute title tune is a priceless meditation on the blues. Sidemen include Lee Morgan Lou Donaldson, Tina Brooks, Kenny Burrell and Art Blakey.

Produced by Alfred Lion Recorded on August 25, 1957"

Which Jimmy Smith album should I get after this one? He has so many releases and some are corny big band pop covers. I want something real similar to "The Sermon", bare bones organ and bluesey, what can you recommend?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Did Jimmy Smith change his drawbar tone setting on the "Organ Grinder Swing" or was it just recorded differently and with more reverb than "The Sermon"?

" Organ Grinder Swing" audio clips

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050J5Z/qid=1103827718/sr =2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-8748245-4885708

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The Sermon lead lines on the top manual use Jimmy's signature 888000000 sound, no percussion, C2 vibrato. The leslie is single speed so no chorale, and the key click and overdrive of the amp comes through loud and clear.

The bottom manual (walking bass and comping behind sax solos is 838000000.

Moe

---

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Thanks!

Did Jimmy Smith change his drawbar tone setting on the "Organ Grinder Swing" or was it just recorded differently and with more reverb than "The Sermon"?

" Organ Grinder Swing" audio clips

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050J5Z/qid=1103827718/sr =2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-8748245-4885708

Organ Grinder Swing still uses the same basic drawbar settings as The Sermon, but this time with C3 vibrato and 3rd percussion on the top manual.

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

The Sermon lead lines on the top manual use Jimmy's signature 888000000 sound, no percussion, C2 vibrato. The leslie is single speed so no chorale, and the key click and overdrive of the amp comes through loud and clear.

The bottom manual (walking bass and comping behind sax solos is 838000000.

Great info, thanks Mate! Can you notice the C2 as opposed to the C3 by ear? And how do you think they recorded the organ on "The Sermon", perhaps it was partly the remastering that was done.

What clone would you use to try to get a similar sound? Would it be an Electro?

Can you notice the C2 as opposed to the C3 by ear?
Oh, yeah. C3 is broader, and C1 is less prominent. If you play, you'll know right away.

OTOH, there is no clone to get that sound, though the new XB3 comes close. Playing through a wood-case Leslie really helps the clones, but even thenm something is usually noticably off.

Dasher (A100, A103, Ham/Suz XM1, Voce V3, NI B4...)

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Great info, thanks Mate! Can you notice the C2 as opposed to the C3 by ear? And how do you think they recorded the organ on "The Sermon", perhaps it was partly the remastering that was done.

What clone would you use to try to get a similar sound? Would it be an Electro?

Well I don't know a lot of details, but the sessions would have been recorded for Blue Note by Rudy Van Gelder with the typical technology of the day (1957) - tube preamps and ribbon mics probably. Other than that, it just captures a fabulous sounding organ played by the master. You can't really use a single manual clone to play this kind of music - it takes two manuals. When I want to play The Sermon myself, I fire up my 1958 B-3.

Moe

---

Would you suppose that the Nord Electro gets a little closer to that "Sermon" sound than the other "clones" ?

Synchronicity never ceases to amaze me on this forum. I just did an interview with Jimmy, and Joey DeFrancesco, who've released a joint record called Legacy. It's going to be out in February, and the piece is scheduled for the Feb issue of Keyboard.

Other required Jimmy Smith reading includes "The Cat" and "The Champ" albums. As I understand it, BTW, the real J.S. sound isn't quite 888... that middle drawbaar (5-1/3') is pushed in somewhat... more like 858. On some songs on the new record, Joey solos with C3 chorus and Jimmy with vib-chorus turned off.

Check ouy www.joeydefrancesco.com for dates they're playing together around the country... it's not every show that Jimmy joins in, but if one is happening anywhere near you, don't miss it. If I had any hair, it would still be blown back from the experience.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Hmmm. I used to own a 1959 C-3 in the questionable blond color. It's now owned by a guitar player friend, but it's the cleanest most soulful sounding Hammond I ever owned.

That organ has been played (and inside the backboard signed) by Joey D. and Jimmy McGriff. I've saved a big spot in the middle for Jimmy Smith to sign someday, I wonder if that could be arranged...

:)

Moe

---

Archived