Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

someone else wrote a song through my body

last night was so weird. this is a totally true story. the even weirder thing is that things like this happen all the time to me. so yesterday i had a sick day, my last day off of vacation (back at work today - still sick - but).it was pretty miserable but i tried to be productive and worked on some new violin-string samples in my akai. it was difficult because i wasnt thinking very clear and it took about 9 hours of work to do about 4 hours of work. anyway so about 8pm i realize i am hungry as heck (hadn't eaten at all) and i had used up the last remaining food ingredients on "xmas tuna dinner" so i had one pack of ramen noodles and a lemon. off to the store to buy some taco ingredients! i bought a tomato, onion, sauce, flour shells, and 99% fat free ground beef (this fat free ground beef is amazing! you never drain the pan or anything like in the old days - i would have to drain the pan several times cooking ground beef back in the day but this new stuff is awesome.) so i cooks up some taco's and start feeling good. this is where it gets weird; i go back to work on the sampler (its like 10pm then) and this tune pops out of nowhere. so i am not thinking about anything at all, i am just watching myself make this tune. i watched myself play all the parts, i watched myself press all the buttons, fire up protools, hook up vox mikes, dial in guitar tones, everything. when it got time to put vocals down, i had no vocals, just a melody (that i had not written, it was just there somehow) so i picked up a pile of magazines, hit record, and sang whatever words my eyes gazed upon after randomly opening the magazine. then i harmonized them with 6 part harmonies. NOW I ASK YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS, i did not do any of this. it wasnt me. i am so serious, its so weird and i dont understand it. i got this tune with 3 guitar tracks, 19 vocal tracks, synths out the wazzo, and i have no idea what key its in or even what notes i played. when i was done mixing the tune i looked at the clock, 6am. shit. i spent 8 hours on this thing, and i never did any of it. i listened back to it this morning and i couldnt remember doing any of it. i didnt do it. but i watched it happen. 8i was there, but i wasnt there. this has happened before, like when i am creating a new synth sound i can watch my fingers fly all over the keyboard changing lfo's osc's filters etc. no idea why i am doing what i am doing but getting whatever i am looking for. its almost like i was a musician in a previous life. i swear i aint makin' any of this up. its just so damn weird!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most great songwriters will tell you that freqently the best things they write just kind of come through them. The best songwriting advice I ever got was: "Put your butt in the proper enviroment,(studio, woods, bedroom, whatever,) and get out of the way of yourself". Let it happen.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Nah, Coaster. It's just that that's how it should be. When you don't have to "think/deliberate" over it, it's just like tying your shoelaces or something. You hit the point where you don't have to think about the "mechanics" of what you're doing.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived