Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Disk crash

dementia13

I'm sure some of you have gone through this. I got an old Protools III rig off Ebay a few months back. I'm already using an old 7100, so I figured this gives me a backup system plus a nice little recording setup. Rig arrives, works great, and it's loaded with software. Then, after a couple of months, I get the dreaded "question mark" at bootup. I had just made a complete backup of the hard drive, but all that old software relies on floppy authorization...and I didn't get the floppies. Restoring a backup to an unauthorized hard drive is useless. I lost tons of software: ReCycle, DP, a bunch of TDM plugs. Worst of all, I couldn't even use the TDM equipment under Logic, I guess because Protools wasn't operational.

Fortunately, I remembered how often Superbobus mentioned here that Disk Warrior had saved him so many times. I got a copy of that, and recovered the hard drive. All the apps and most or all of the plug-ins are back in order. So, now I'm going to monitor Ebay and grab all the authorization floppies I can. Every once in a while, somebody does cleanup and finds a bunch of them and sells them. I guess it's just a reminder of how we can get caught up wanting all the latest sexy synths and gear, but we can't forget the unglamorous things that keep up the infrastructure.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived