Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha ES & PLG Pianos vs. Roland Fantom X piano?

Jazz+

Paul, that's interesting. How can an the OS cause a hardware failure? I know you can get error messages when the OS bugs out, and hardware might not work because its not getting the correct instructions, but cause a failure? That doesn't sound right.

You also might want to read what what Bopbeeper had to say about the Promega 2. Inconsistencies in the tone across the entire KB on some patches.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MikeT156:

Paul, that's interesting.

now Mike, be honest. That's not interesting at all. It sounds like Paul is giving us party line here. I mean really, "we at Generalmusic stand behind what we sell, making the satisfaction our top priority". Even if it's true, you think anybody wants to hear it?? :D

What I'm finding interesting, is the whole idea of keybed feel. I had never given it much thought. Whether it's "spongy", ie. cushioned, or hard. Personally, I think I prefer a bit of sponge, derogatory as it sounds, simply because one can get into a bad habit of striking the keys mercilessly resulting in harsh louds, rather than "deep dynamics". I don't much like the idea of knocking on bare metal or plastic or whatever's down there. It's a mental game, possibly.

Am I on the wrong thread?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I like cusioned key beds, they are much better for my joint health. They act as shock absorbers.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I like cusioned key beds, they are much better for my joint health. They act as shock absorbers.

hahah, that's delightful Jazz+. We agree! And good point about joint health. Also, I imagine a cushioned keybed would be less fatiguing.

You do realize that you've conceded control of your thread to the insurgents. ;)

I played a three hour jazz gig last night with the lighter weighted and softly cushioned Roland FP2 action. For the first time since I can remember I had no wrist pain or fatigue. Over the past three years when I was gigging with the P120 I had to take Advil each time time for my wrists and by the end of the night they felt like mildly sprained ankles. None of that last night :)

I just quit playing the Yamaha P series actions after three years. They are heavier than average, bottom out hard and the P120 is slightly sluggish. The P actions give you great dynamic control but can be very fatiguing for playing fast or long sets. They caused me great wrist pain. I like them for ballad palying. The P also actions give good traction in runs.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Sue:

When I said "Paul, that's interesting, how can an OS cause a hardware failure" I KNOW it's not interesting! DUH Sue. It doesn't sound like a credible statement to me at all. And yes, that was the party line. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by gangsu:

You know, my sax player is good, he could handle this. I know a trumpeter I can call on that's equally as good, also a drummer, I'd just need some black guy to sing the blues.

You've never heard me play the trumpet, so how would you know?

Plus if I ever was good, my silver Bach Stradivarius has been collecting dust for a number of months. Not to mention the laquer finish is much better for jazz than silver plating, in fact some jazz players take off all the finish now that I think of it, with the exception of Wynton that has that funky trumpet that weighs a ton and looks funny which I demoed once back in the day.

Originally posted by Immordino:

You've never heard me play the trumpet, so how would you know?

hmmm... a silver Strad, a Steinway, one foot on Wall Street...I'll take that chance!

Oh, and did I mention no-compromise taste in digital pianos? I didn't?!

:cool:

So, If the mother board is replaced but the OS is not updated dose this mean Its liable to crash again at some future time?As I understand It there is a new OS update for the PM3 but, when I enquired, not for the PM2.

You realise my interest is purely accademic but I worry about you Poor Pro Mega Players hoping to make It through to the end of the set. :P

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

I dunno Bobpeeper there's probably a valid point in your post for all the worrywarts out there, I'm just too exhausted to deal with it right now. You gotta have faith, man. seems to me I placed my order back in April, and got my PM3 straight off the onion boat sometime in July. It's OS is upgradeable, that's cool. I'm sure when it needs a face lift it'll let me know.

cheers :)

Cap:

I've never known an OS to cause a system board to FAIL and have to be replaced. An OS error can cause hardware not to operate correctly or not at all, but burnout? I've seen problems with the original Pentium processor that had inadequate cooling fans, the Processor heated up, the system would go wacko, and if you left the machine on, you'd toast the processor, and sometimes the processor socket. It was a hardware failure, it had nothing to do with the OS. Its possible that the PROM's on the system board had to be replaced because of the problem, but the system board would still not fail, it would only fail to operate. It could be that the PROM's were integrated into the system board (were not EPROMS) and it was cheaper to just change the system board.

Unless you know something about operating systems I don't know, its software that gives instructions to the hardware on what it needs to do. I don't know that there's any self destruct code written into any operating systems. I'm no computer geek, so forgive me if I only know enough to be dangerous. :rolleyes:

Paul probably got more flak from us for his "company line" rather than the fact system boards were going out on the Promega 2, it happens.

Mike T.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Paul probably got more flak from us for his "company line" rather than the fact system boards were going out on the Promega 2, it happens.

Well, believe it or not, I was not giving Paul flak. I was being rudely opportunistic at his expense. There's a difference. Besides, it's not a bad thing to know somebody's looking out for you. I don't mind hearing it once in a while.

I also don't mind admitting that I tend to believe what I say, more readily than I believe what I merely think. Hence, this post. and my apology to Paul...which he probably doesn't need. Oh well.

There, I'll see if that makes me feel better.

Originally posted by capnzoot:

there is code out there that will cause hardware to fail.

isn't there a pill for that?

Archived