Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In praise of the Kurzweil ME-1

marino

I'd just like to relate a recent experience. Last Thursday, I played a studio session for a TV show's theme song. They asked for a Rhodes sound, so I brought a few instruments, including a small mixer and sample CDs, thinking that maybe a layer of two or three sounds could deliver the necessary beef. Well, guess what - the humble Kurzweil ME-1, used alone, turned out to be the perfect tool for the job. We used presets 1, 2 and 10 from the EP bank, for different sections of the piece. It mixed very well.

As an ultimate compliment, I'll say that when we listened to the whole mess, I realized that I had forgot to set the effects to a value of zero - so a drop of reverb was left thru the whole recording. I went red with shame and offered to re-record all my parts, but they just say, "It sounds nice and clean - it can stay."

To my partial excuse, I had never thought to use the ME-1 in a pro recording; and in ensemble playing, the reverb wasn't noticeable at all (the default setting is just a very small bit of it).

Anyway, I was proud of my little box, even though I'm aware that the Mindprint tube preamp that we used did help quite a bit - and the parts did not require very high notes, where the ME-1 multisamples start to sound objectionable. :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by marino:

Anyway, I was proud of my little box, even though I'm aware that the Mindprint tube preamp that we used did help quite a bit

I love that pre...that's going to be next purchase.

It looks really cool, too. :D

"For instance" is not proof.

I use an ME-1 and love it. Only ever used it live and for recordings of my band. I am very happy with the EPs and accoustic pianos too.
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Is the ME-1 Acoustic Piano the same as the

PC2X-Rack Acoustic Piano?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Is the ME-1 Acoustic Piano the same as the

PC2X-Rack Acoustic Piano?

The ME-1 has the same samples and presets than the PC2 in its various incarnations. The effects, however, are quite simpler. Also, the organs are better on the PC2 series, because they're modeled; the organs on the ME-1 are nothing special.

Archived