Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Martin - P250 Have Particle Board?

Thurmo

Hello Mike,

I heard that the Yamaha P250 has particle board underneath the board. I may be finally about to buy one, & I need to know, because as weird as it may sound - I have an allergy to particle board - Headaches, stuffy nose, etc. Anyway, I might just have to see if the symptoms go away. But a lot of times your sniffer will just stop warning you about the smell, but you're still affected. Is there any way that I could take it off of the board without compromising too much. I don't forsee taking it out gigging anytime soon. Also, Guitar Center was selling the S-90 for $1700 out the door, & the salesman said that the S-90 has a new, updated Grand Piano sample that is better than the P250's. Is that so? But I'm probably going to go with the P250 if I can get these questions answered satisfactorily. Thanks

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are beautiful."

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't you just apply a coat of piant or some kind of sealer to the bottom of the piano ... would that work?

(My P250 is in the case but I believe the bottom is some kind of particle board or compressed wood material.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The GC sales person may have been confused by the soon to be released $250 PLG-150AP piano expansion board. The stock piano in the S90 does not realy come close to the quality of the P250 piano.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I hate particle board. If it gets wet it swells and it's structural strength is compromised permanently. It is also very heavy, but...it is cheap and that is why it is used. If a lighter material were used, all those Yamaha keyboards could be a few pounds lighter. I don't know about you but I would pay extra for that.

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Thanks a lot guys for your responses - Guess Mike is on vacation? And if that's any indication as to what kind of service I'll get at Yamaha, then I may have to think twice about buying another one. I have a W7.
"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are beautiful."

I'm packing right now for a trip to Japan and China. As I've stated here on the forum several times recently, my travel schedule right now will not allow me to be here on the forum everyday. I doubt that I will have internet access in China later next week. When I return from this trip I will be taking vacation the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

The answers provided by other members here are basically correct. Its actually MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) but I felt my reply would be repetative.

While I'm gone -

You can reach a Customer Support Representative by email or phone:

Email: ycasupport@yamaha.com

Phone: (714) 522-9000, Please call Monday Friday, between 8:30am 5:00pm PST/PDT

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The S90 and P250 have completely different piano samples. I suggest you play them as they are very different sounding. The S90 like the P250 has MDF used in its constuction.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Thurmo:

Guess Mike is on vacation? And if that's any indication as to what kind of service I'll get at Yamaha, then I may have to think twice about buying another one. I have a W7.

http://www.highlifter.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/m2c.gif Are you insane?

Thanks a lot guys for your responses - Guess Mike is on vacation? And if that's any indication as to what kind of service I'll get at Yamaha, then I may have to think twice about buying another one. I have a W7.

Maybe you should get Roland. They have wooooonderfullll customer support. Or maybe Korg. I think the Korg rep stops by here every day just to say hello and solve all of our problems.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I wonder if it would be possible to replace the particleboard with balsawood, and still retain enough strength and durability. I imagine the replacement piece would have to have all exactly the same dimensions as the original, including thickness.

I read or saw on TV recently, can't remember which, that some high end cars use balsa wood in their construction (Corvette, I think it was)

Mike Martin,

I think I owe you an apology - Didn't know what your status was. Actually, I've got this terrible cold, & really shouldn't be on here doing this anyway. And it says a lot about how well you are liked here by the guys coming to your defense like they did. That's admirable. Also, I have to be a big enough man to apologize - Because a little bit of humility is really a strength & not a weakness. Actually, in my experience, I've had very good support from Yamaha concerning my W7. I don't really need a lot of support - technically speaking. Learned the sequencer on the W7 pretty much on my own. But I was concerned about the aforementioned problem - To which I feel you & the others thoroughly enough answered - And for that, thanks to all. Mike, I too wish you a safe & pleasurable trip. Regards

Mike Martin,

I think I owe you an apology - Didn't know what your status was. Actually, I've got this terrible cold, & really shouldn't be on here doing this anyway. And it says a lot about how well you are liked here by the guys coming to your defense like they did. That's admirable. Also, I have to be a big enough man to apologize - Because a little bit of humility is really a strength & not a weakness. Actually, in my experience, I've had very good support from Yamaha concerning my W7. I don't really need a lot of support - technically speaking. Learned the sequencer on the W7 pretty much on my own. But I was concerned about the aforementioned problem - To which I feel you & the others thoroughly enough answered - And for that, thanks to all. Mike, I too wish you a safe & pleasurable trip. Regards

That was very good of you. We do like Mike. We also like people who are big enough and secure enough to do what you just did. :thu:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Robert,

Thanks for your kind words. I guess sometimes a guy can just go a little nuts trying to decide what gear to get. And I'm sure that you agree that the stakes are a lot higher here on this music creation/performance level - As compared to the usual plain vanilla pc kind of stuff. And I've been set back money wise a few times choosing the wrong gear. But that's the business. Lastly, the healing & release of

forgiving & asking forgiveness is critical in this problem plagued world. Thanks Again.

Les

Archived