Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Expression pedal?

Bob Rinker

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob. Yes, indeed. It's not just compatible, it's the stock pedal that Hammond-Suzuki makes to be used with the XK-2.

There is also the new EXP-100F pedal for the XK-3.

Although it's identical to (and interchangeable with) the EXP-100A,

it features a built-in Leslie speed switch

that you can nudge with the left side of your foot.

It's exhiliarating to use on those big ol' two-handed chords. :D

Originally posted by Jeep:

Hi Bob. Yes, indeed. It's not just compatible, it's the stock pedal that Hammond-Suzuki makes to be used with the XK-2.

:D

Yes, but what about the older XB-2? That's the one I'm interested in.

I just upgraded to the EXP100F, so am selling the EXP100A, and someone asked if it works with the XB-2. I think not, but thought I would ask here to be sure.

Dave - I agree with you about the F pedal - takes a bit of a jerk to make it work. I think I have become better with a little practice, and I am beginning to like it a little better than chasing the separate footswitch all around the floor.

Quote from Bob Rinker:

"about the F pedal - takes a bit of a jerk to make it work."

Thanks alot, Bob. :o:mad:

Got mine workin' fine! So that makes me a jerk?!?!? ;):P

Re: my XB-2/XK-2 confusion:

(Scheiße! I knew I was goin' blind! :cool: )

Sorry, Bob. I don't know. :confused:

Originally posted by Jeep:

Quote from Bob Rinker:

"about the F pedal - takes a bit of a jerk to make it work."

Thanks alot, Bob. :o:mad:

Got mine workin' fine! So that makes me a jerk?!?!? ;):P

Re: my XB-2/XK-2 confusion:

(Scheiße! I knew I was goin' blind! :cool: )

Sorry, Bob. I don't know. :confused:

Oh jeez - I guess I don't need to call people names over this :D

Of course, I was talking about the motion required, not the personality involved. :rolleyes:

- Bob

The little finger on the switch (on the underside of the pedal) can be "formed" to actuate the switch a little sooner, or a small spacer can be glued to the tab that presses the finger to trigger the switch a little quicker. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the position of the switch.

• 1 month later...

Since you guys are talking about the EXP-100F I want to ask you if you have noticed that near the end of the pedal's stroke the volume doesn't increase.

My EXP-100F has this characteristic, I wonder if this is a defect or it's normal.

Thx

Fed

On mine the display shows I've reached a volume of 127 with about 1/4" of travel left. It is an optical sensor with a light bulb and receiver. Maybe they design a little leeway into the circuit for when dirt accumulates on the bulb/sensor. Mine works fine, and now I know I don't have to try to push it through the floor. ;)

Originally posted by Federico78:

Since you guys are talking about the EXP-100F I want to ask you if you have noticed that near the end of the pedal's stroke the volume doesn't increase.

My EXP-100F has this characteristic, I wonder if this is a defect or it's normal.

Thx

Fed

Hey Fed, read the manual again. I think you'll find there's a calibration mode for the (any) pedal. You can set it to be max vol anywhere you like on the footpedal travel.

:DTR

I checked mine just to be sure. If the parameter (#15 on pg. 60, it is adjustable in 10% increments) is set to 90%, the volume reaches ~116 with the pedal all the way to the floor. If I set it at 110% it reaches 127 with about 3/4 > 1/2 inch of travel to go. At 100% there is about 1/4" of travel left.

Excuse me for a sec, guys.

Just to get back to Bob R.'s original question,

six weeks later.....

Originally posted by Bob Rinker:

Can anyone tell me if the EXP100A expresssion pedal is compatible with a Hammond XB-2 keyboard?

A bit of "Googling" will confirm that:

The EXP-100A expression pedal is compatible and functionally correct with

any of the Hammond-Suzuki X-series organs,

including, of course, the XB-2.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back an old subject, but I just bought the EXP 100F pedal to couple with the XB-2. Yes, it does work as a volume pedal, but not as smoothly as the EXP 100A. I've found that the lower 1/8 of the travel does nothing. My old 100A would continue lowering the volume to virtually nothing, where the 100F won't do that. It's taking some getting used to, and some adjustment in playing.

And, no, the Leslie switch on the pedal does not work. Just as well, I hated the internal Leslie in the XB-2 and have disabled it in favor of a Pro3TM.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

Sorry to bring back an old subject, but I just bought the EXP 100F pedal to couple with the XB-2. Yes, it does work as a volume pedal, but not as smoothly as the EXP 100A. I've found that the lower 1/8 of the travel does nothing. My old 100A would continue lowering the volume to virtually nothing, where the 100F won't do that. It's taking some getting used to, and some adjustment in playing.

And, no, the Leslie switch on the pedal does not work. Just as well, I hated the internal Leslie in the XB-2 and have disabled it in favor of a Pro3TM.

This is an old thread! I ended up finding out that the XB-2 can use exp pedal part of 100F, but not the Leslie switch, as you say. However, the exp pedal part should function the same on both pedals. I think you can tweak the response at least somewhat - I can on my XK-3 anyway.

BTW, I make box that can let you control your Pro3 using the switches on your XB-2. Sorry for the spam, but if interested, please PM me.

- Bob

Originally posted by Bob Rinker:

Originally posted by daviel:

Bob,

Can you rig up an 11 pin connector on my xk3 so I can use the Exp pedal to slow/fast a pro-3t? I e-mailed youalready!

I emailed you back. The answer is yes - hope it meets your needs.

- Bob

WooHoo - just got to 100 posts! I felt pretty good about that until I noticed you just got to 900, Daviel!

Along this same line of discussion: I have an EXP100A with a burned out (or more likely, dropped) light bulb. I would like to buy a replacement bulb AND buy a side-kick switch like the "F". (I'll wire the side kick swith up to a 1/4" jack.) Anyone know of a place I can by these things? The local electronics shop didn't have a bulb with the correct wattage.

You might try Goff Professional www.goffprof.com

I know when I was considering having my 100A repaired (broken wires) they told me they could do repairs on the pedal. They should have the bulb in stock.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thanks, bro

I took a quick look at your "Fat City" website.... I lived on the Florida panhandle for a year and gigged in an Alman Bros. cover band with a guy named David Goldfies, who played bass with the Alman Bros. for a half dozen years or so. It was fun, and a very different experience from my usual Funk/Jazz/R&B type thing...

Archived