Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sell My Roland A-90?

hermanjoe

I need some advice. I have owned a Roland A-90 for over 8 years, played a ton of gigs with it and now it is my backup. I have had to fix the keyboard action on it several times because the key weights actually brake. This just happens from normal playing. I really don't want to sink any more $ into the keyboard. The repair costs are always about $100 each time it breaks.

Do any other A-90 owners have this problem? Is there a permenant fix for this? Or should I just sell it?

Thanks

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fix broken A90 hammers periodically too. I keep a supply of the spare parts (naturals and sharps) on hand, so that if need be, I can fix them on a break. When I don't have any handy, I just steal a hammer from the uppermost notes of the keyboard to replace the broken one(s). It just takes about 10 minutes and a screwdriver. By the way, the hammers are real cheap (about $4 a piece) from Roland.

Yeah I tried to fix them myself but found it rather difficult. I accidentally damaged my board a bit. I am really not comfortable doing those types of repairs. Is there no other option?

-Charlie Parker

Is it possible to replace the action with updated action from roland or would this be crazy and expensive? I was thinking if its only a few hundred maybe worth it. Anyone know what i could get for a used A-90?

-Charlie Parker

Your A90's action is just fine...

The early model A90s have a problem with the weighted hammers, such that the plastic becomes weak after years of use. The replacement hammers are supposedly more durable. If you're not inclined to replace them as needed, you may want to consider having the range of notes where they tend to break most frequently (for me, it's within an octave below/above middle C) replaced with the new hammers. Also, visually inspect each of the removed hammers, keeping the good ones for spares, should you need them. By doing this all at once, you should save a ton of money (if you've really been spending $100 every time you break a key). The repair should take about 1/2 hour...tops.

You might also want to take a look at your velocity sensitivity settings, and adjust them so that less force is required to achieve the highest velocity. Of course, you'd have to adjust your playing style accordingly.

Good luck...

Greg

Thanks greg. I'll look into it. I guess If I were to go that route I'd replace them all. I've broken notes in a ll ranges. I play with a lot of weight into the keys, just the way I was taught on acoustic. If the parts are $6 a pop x 88 might be pricey but better than spending 100 for labor each time.

-Charlie Parker

Archived