Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Playmate?

Bob Rinker

Hi -

Has anyone tried the Alesis Playmate? There is a "vocalist" (with vocal zapper) and a "guitar" (with guitar effects) model. Both claim to be able to play back a CD at correct pitch but up to 50% slower speed. I wouldn't care too much about the effects, but being able to slow down a song on CD that I'm trying to learn would be useful. Does anybody else make such a thing for less than $199 US? Seems like the CD function could be cheaper if it didn't also have effects built in.

As always, thanks!

- Bob

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creative Play Center1, software that came with my sound card three years ago, produces less of that "flange effect" than my Tascam CD-BT1 when slowing down songs.

The CD player, you can take anywhere, but you get better results with your computer.

I have the alesis vocalmate unit. I would rate it as reasonably good, but not outstanding.

No question, it makes transcribing or learning new pieces much easier, by slowing things down. For me, tht is the main benefit. There is some flanging on the drums when you slow things significantly.

The "vocal eliminator" is only so-so - but that wasn't a key feature for me. Non-musician friends of mine love the karaoke features, and certainly they are useful for practicing your vocal parts.

Try it out at the store with one of your own CD's - where you are very familiar with the source material. I believe TASCAM also makes something similar, too.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived