Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie gig question - sound guy

mound

Total newbie (keys at least) gigging question - I'll arrive tonight where a FOH installation is in place. I'll plug the stereo outs of my RD-700 through my stereo volume pedal and out into my two powered monitors.

question: how does the soundguy get my signal? I doubt he'll be mic'ing my cabinets. Should I put my cheap behringer 6 channel mixer (no XLR outs) inline so he can take the control or aux outs of that? I'd prefer to leave it home as it's not otherwise needed. Or can he attach XLR's to the THRU on my powered monitors? I just want to be prepared.

thanks!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually some sort of direct box is used to provide a balanced feed to the board. Most sound guys carry these along with a short TS pigtail attached to the "thru" and will plug the pigtail into your amp and then take your keyboard-->amp cable and plug it into the direct box. Then they run an XLR cable from the direct box to the snake. Same situation typically used with a bass guitar.

If a stereo mix and they have enough channels and direct boxes they'll do it twice.

Some guys might run a bridged, unbalanced TS lead to the snake and just use a TS-XLR adapter. They can get the feed from the through on your monitors or they might bring a Y cable. That works OK if the snake is short and the building electrical system isn't predisposed to gremlins.

Then again they might try to get you to run keys straight to the board and bring back a monitor feed for your stage monitors. Probably not though.

Bartolomeo

thanks all.. I brought the behringer, didn't need it. he took the THRU from the monitors..

as a bassist I was always in the habit of carrying a DI with me.. should I start getting in the habit of carrying 2 of them with me now? Can I still run my monitors in stereo if he patches off for FOH in mono?

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Carrying 2 DI's couldn't hurt, but if you're monitors have XLR out you shouldn't need it.

You can still monitor in stereo if the FOH only takes one mono signal - just make sure they don't combine your two signals and use that on a single channel.

Also, beware the situation where the FOH gets you in stereo and then puts both those channels in the bands mono monitor (floor wedges) feed. I always tell the sound guy to send both L&R to the audience, but only give L back to the band. Of course if he's on top of his game, he'll give half the guys in the band some L and the other have some R and you'll really hear that leslie-sim swirling!

Archived