Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing with Pain?

mound

Ok, I know you should STOP IMMEDIATELY as they say if you feel pain while playing, but this is generally pain "from" playing.. What if you have pain from an injury? I jammed my thumb pretty good last night during Tae Kwon Do sparring.. it's nice and big and red right now :-( (definitely NOT broken) but I still need to practice.. it looks worse than it feels, but it's swollen so it's hard to work on arpeggios.. I'm wondering though if I should keep practicing, to "keep it loose" or if playing with this kind of non-piano-induced pain is still a no-no?

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a few days of rest or maybe take advantage of this opportunity to practice with your other hand only.

Don't try to force the offended thumb to play, because it will only make things worse and delay your full recovery.

The doctor has spoken. ;)

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I closed a car door on one of my fingers earlier this year. Just give it a rest. It hurt like hell for the 1st week, the 2nd week I still couldn't play but by the 3rd I was fine.

I kept playing but avoiding that finger (it was my 'ring' finger, so I still could do octaves on the left hand). As Dreamer said, use the opportunity to work your other hand.

So my (non-doctor's) advice is to hold off for the time being...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

yeah, I think I'll work on my left hand..

I swear this Tae Kwon Do is going to kill my hands :) My teacher thinks I'm crazy when every few months I show up to a lesson with a black and blue hand.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

Originally posted by mound:

I swear this Tae Kwon Do is going to kill my hands :) My teacher thinks I'm crazy when every few months I show up to a lesson with a black and blue hand.

Yes - it will kill your hands, as well as your radial and ulnar nerves.

You may want to pursue a less 'hand devastating' martial art.

hrmph..

actually it's not every "few" months.. I think I've injured my hand probably, well, 3 times in three years.. just this and the last were in closer proximity leading my teacher to think I'm crazy.

I'd be OK if I could wrap/glove my hands while sparring. perhaps my Master will let me do that. "technically speaking" my hands shouldn't get hurt, it's when I forget to keep my hands held up in a tight fist that I jam fingers up. Tae Kwon Do is primarilly a foot art ("the way of the hand and foot") but in reality there is very little hand work at all which is one of the reasosn I chose it.

Can you practice without using that thumb?

Don't forget to knock 10% off your normal price if you work and don't use your thumb.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I can "avoid" the thumb.. I'm typing at my normal furious rate here writing these posts (while I should working) so the up/down motion of my thumb is not at all impeded. I feel no pain to type. the swelling would prevent me from reaching under my hand, say, for practicing arpeggios or what not.) I'm working on my first Bach piece, and having been playing Romantic works for the last year, I have a new technique to learn, so I'll work on my left hadn for that.. plus I have a new workbook for Jazz Harmony I'm starting on, so I can work on shapes and what not..

it certainly isn't a show stopper.. I can already see the look on my teacher's face at my lesson tonight though! My entire thumb and the base of my hand is now a deep purple.. I imagine it'll be green by tomorrow ;)

edit:

Don't forget to knock 10% off your normal price if you work and don't use your thumb.
Hah! I have a LONG way to go before I can work as a pianist..

-Paul

haha.. in "olympic style Tae Kwon Do sparring" which is the type of sparring we do (perhaps you caught some during Olympic coverage) - you really don't use your hands.. it's all kicking.. my hands should be in a tight fist, preferably up and away from incoming kicks.. I MUST FOCUS!

(err, that's probably what the master will say if I ask him if can wear some kind of boxing glove ;)

err. yah.. keyboards.. right!

As an MD and a musician, I'd tell you to give your injured hands a rest. The basics of rest, elevation, and ice in the first 2-3 days post injury are good basics. If the pain, swelling ro tenderness persists, particularly with certain hand motions, go see your local hand surgeon.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Will do Doc!

:)

I've studied various marshal arts for many, many years - I've had more sprains and strains than I can count (and a few breaks) - most of the commercially taught arts arn't nearly as violent as they use to be (back in the 60's & 70's we had full contact sparing, no head gear, no pads - you rarely see that in schools anymore - at least in American schools.

While I agree that for practise purposes you should rest the hand and perhaps work scales with the other hand or work on your reading chops, etc.

The bigger concern is gigging - the show must go on. I've played way too many gigs in pain or not using a finger/hand/etc. and the music suffered

If you do plan to stay in the martial arts, plan to get hurt from time to time and except that it will compromise your music (a serious injury can compromise more than just your music).

I love the arts and I love music - but on occasion one interferes with the other.

I've had more sprains and strains than I can count (and a few breaks)
never had any breaks. My feet and legs take a serious beating pretty much every night however :) That I don't mind..

The bigger concern is gigging - the show must go on. I've played way too many gigs in pain or not using a finger/hand/etc. and the music suffered
Luckilly my next gig isn't until Saturday.. well, that's kinda close, but I'm sure it'll be pretty clear by then.. A few years ago I jammed up my left index finger pretty bad in sparring, I had a gig (as a bass player) that night.. had about an hour to ice/warm bath/massage it.. oh my god I was in so much pain.. it actually forced me to play less, and the recordings showed I played pretty well actually. keys is a different story though.

compromise your music (a serious injury can compromise more than just your music).
yes. I'm aware of this. It's one of those things I guess you have to try to balance? I really can't give up Taekwondo, I honestly believe that my study of Taekwondo has played a big part in my ability to focus so well on music.. and vice versa.. I certainly can't give up music either. I'm not a pro, I don't rely on it to pay any bills, but I can't give it up either.

I'd be interested in finding an appropriate forum for "martial arts musicians" to see what experiences others have had..

I used to have this problem playing cricket. Had to choose between cricket and piano.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I used to have this problem playing cricket. Had to choose between cricket and piano.
I guess it ultimately depends on how much the piano, and music, are important to you. My piano teacher made me stop playing tennis, and I stopped to race karts by my own initiative. If you are a pianist or want to become one, you have to respect your hands - they're your working tools, nothing more, nothing less.

Archived